Oscilloscope/DMM Advice

Corbis

Hi all,

I am interested in buying a handheld or at least portable scope/DMM for home hobby and one I could use at work as well.

Interested in using it for my PLC / PIC Chips / anything else my imagination leads me...(y)

...Not having used a real scope (just in Proteus) I am having a tough time finding one.

I am thinking of at least 60MH...but the DMM must handle 750VAC for work troubleshooting as well.

Digital/Analog capability.

Anyone own a quality model like this?

Thanks,
Corbis

...oops...I did not mean to refer that I want YOURS LOL
I meant did anyone know of a great model I can buy online.

Corbis

Owon portable scopes are affordable and have a good reputation in terms of value for money. They are portable, not handheld. Personally I'd still prefer to use a hand held DMM for straight forward reading of voltage, ohms, amps. Scope for scope work only.

Brymen make affordable quality DMMs, with several models UL listed. I use a Brymen BM257s at work myself, happy with it. Well made, compact, good and fast display, good ergonomics. My colleague is a Fluke user, he regularly walks by to borrow my little Brymen.

I'm a huge fan of the Rigol DS1054z DSO, the gold standard in hobbyist scopes.

ETA: Handheld and USB oscilloscopes are usually pretty poor performers. I suggest doing some YouTube review research before spending money on even a cheap one.

Last edited:

ETA: Handheld and USB oscilloscopes are usually pretty poor performers. I suggest doing some YouTube review research before spending money on even a cheap one.

+1 on youtube research.

Most scopes are small today and portable. You can easily carry it with you but it's not pocket sized though.

I use one of simpler Tektronix ones that I think are good value for money and Tektronix is a reputable quality brand. Can't go wrong with Tektronix but you'll pay a little more than for some of the lower priced brands.

Looks something like this:
DSCN0825.jpg

Last edited:
One more vote for Pico Scope. Connect up to your PC, software is free and works with all the models. The interface is the size of a portable hard-drive.

The performance is just fine and the ease of use is light year ahead of the old fashioned scope.

Here's an overview review of the Rigol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETCOhzU1O5A

There are lots of links to more detailed information below the video.

+1 on this!

And a 1054z is just a 1104z that hasn't been field upgraded as of yet... (google it).

As for handling 750VAC, you will need an "Active Oscilloscope Probe" for that.