Osha LOTO

Hello, I have a project manager telling me that a 120Vac electrical cabinet does not need to have LOTO and instead there is a toggle switch on the front of the cabinet to turn power on/off to the cabinet. Does anyone know if this is correct? I don't know where to look in the OSHA handbook to see if this is correct or not. TIA

I can't say about NEMA (not OSHA) requirements, but I have both received and made machines that were 120V except for the fact of an added 480/120 transformer and listed as a 480 machine.

Along with lockout needs (a 120V machine can be locked out by unplugging it and putting a cord end lockout device over the plug) this also alleviated a lot of requirements because a machine that can be disconnected and moved has to meet additional requirements as a "Portable Appliance"

i am sorry, but a toggle switch does not qualify as a disconnect switch. the toggle switch can/does go bad and also someone can bump the switch by accident and turn it on.
you need to detail the machine application.
it doesn't matter what the project manager says, it is what is in your company machine specs and what safety says !
they have the final say in the matter.
you may want to look at nfpa 79 - electrical standard for industrial machinery.
also, a machine disconnect must be within sight of the control panel. meaning directly in sight of the enclosure and within 50 ft. (unless the rules changed)
i agree with the previous post, BUT the toggle switch is still a NO.
regards,
james

Last edited:
Unless you can lock out the switch itself, the switch definitionally cannot serve as a lockout device. So it cannot satisfy any requirement for a lockout. As far as I am aware OSHA considers voltages of 50v or above to be hazardous; if the manager believes that some setup either satisfies or avoids the need for lockout/tagout requirements he should be providing a specific reference.

I have seen set ups where a metal cover could be placed over a toggle switch only when it was in the off position and this cover then locked in place. However, this was not a lockout for the cabinet (which would still have voltage coming in to the switch) but rather the switch removed power from parts of the machine, allowing a partial lockout for work which required control power.

OSHA will accept a 120V plug if you can lock up the plug otherwise you must have a lockable switch or you can lock out the supply braker
but be careful as all sources of power into the panel need to be locked out as well
any voltage above 50V must be locked off
The key here is LOCKED OFF not just turned off and thats person working in that panel or equipment no exceptions

I dont know OSHA, but it is probably exactly the same principles that we use over here.
Each person must be able to attach his own personal padlock. It is not enough with a key-switch, since only 1 key is possible, and the key is not personal.
So the switch have to be large enough and have enough holes for several padlocks. There are also 'hole-extenders' so you can increase the number of padlocks that can be attached:
421_1%20-%20365b1f17-6c83-41cc-8dab-cce45a7ef17c_small.jpg

A disconnnect switch costs next to nothing.

I don't see the 50V mentioned in the OSHA links but I only skimmed.
I don't see it mentioned in your links, but see here (relevant portion bolded):

1910.333(a)(1)
"Deenergized parts." Live parts to which an employee may be exposed shall be deenergized before the employee works on or near them, unless the employer can demonstrate that deenergizing introduces additional or increased hazards or is infeasible due to equipment design or operational limitations. Live parts that operate at less than 50 volts to ground need not be deenergized if there will be no increased exposure to electrical burns or to explosion due to electric arcs.