OSR and ONS

amhd90

Hello,
Can someone give me a practical examples of OSR and ONS in real life ?
I know how it works but i need to know where we use it.
Thank you.

I use these for things like:

• Moving a value at a specific time in a sequence. For instance I don't want to continuously move the value, just when somethign else happens like a limit switch is made or a pressure reaches a certain value.
  • Moving bits in a shift register
  • In front of math instructions that you only want to happen one time based on some condition
  • Many other, just wanted to give a few simple ones

thanks for the link it is useful. But i didnt understand the example. I am new to this so if you can explain what is the exercise about.

Osr

Also you can use it to trigger an ADD instruction to form a counter up or you can use it to trigger a SUB to form a counter down.

Cheers

Also you can use it to trigger an ADD instruction to form a counter up or you can use it to trigger a SUB to form a counter down.

Cheers

Just to add on - if you do not use it in an 'add or sub' instruction, the function executes continuously for every scan of the PLC rather than the state of change in the condition.

Take note it may not visible in an add instruction which adds just two integers and a result stored in a register/tag. You only see the difference while increment a register/tag. Well, the best way to understand it is to test it out yourself.

Regards

Last edited: