Ot: Cmse/tuv

the_msp

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, looking at doing CMSE or equivalent. I have been told that CMSE, being Pilz-specific, is not as widely accepted as perhaps a TUV alternative.

I will be using Schmersal Safety for my next project.

As you can see I am based in Northern Ireland, don't mind spending a week in England etc to get this done. Mainland Europe is also an option.

CMSE, while run by Pilz, is certified by TUV Nord. At least, it was when I did it ~10 years ago. It's recognised fine here in Australia.

There are two options for us to get a CMSE certification here; Pilz and Rockwell. They both cover the same content and standards, the only difference is that all the examples in the Pilz course will have yellow safety relays in them, and all the examples in the Rockwell course will have red safety relays in them. The Pilz-run course wasn't just a giant Pilz advertisement like many OEM-run courses; it was very standards-focused. With lots of Pilz-branded safety devices for the examples.

Last edited:
I know a few guys on ANSI safety committee and most of them ranks them. Rheinland, Nord and then SUD.

I'm up for my 10 year Rheinland Machine safety engineer renewal next year. I'm also looking a Nord or SUD for fluid power.