OT: Cosmos

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
Who here caught last nights premier of Cosmos: A Space-time Odyssey?

I loved the original Cosmos with Carl Sagan that aired when I was in college, so I was looking forward to it. Neil deGrasse Tyson did not disappoint as the narrator. But as far as the over all show, I was mildly disappointed by it.

I was concerned that Star Trek's Brannon Bragga, who was responsible for all the technobabble and sheer junk-stupid physics of TNG and Voyager, was the producer. I think that concern was justified. And Cartoons? Seriously? I guess concerns about Seth MacFarlane were justified too.

Here is hoping it gets better 🍺

I too was a fan of the original series and also of NDT. The first episode I thought got a lot better in the last twenty minutes of the show. They had to sort of lay the groundwork for the rest of the series.

I still have high hopes for the series mainly because of NDT and Ann Druyan.

My wife and I were laughing during the show at the irony that this show is on Fox (which, granted is not the science challenged Fox News) and how they were going to shoe-horn 13 billion years down to 5,000 years.

If it hadn't been for Seth McFarlane this show probably wouldn't be on the air at all. I suspect he is pretty hands-off other than being the face to the network execs like any producer would be. Ann Druyan I believe wrote the first episode and when you have her and NDT, why mess with a good thing.

By the way, if anyone gets a chance to visit the Hayden Planetarium in NYC, it is a fantastic way to spend a day.

OG