OT: Engraving Machines for Legend Plates

I've been tasked to look into a new engraving machine. Our 20-year-old New Hermes has bitten the dust so I'm looking for a replacement. Does anybody engrave their own tags? I'm looking for something that can cut out tags from stock as well as engrave text. Any recommendations?

I've still got my old New Hermes and the original operator too (my wife). I would stick with them, now calling themselves Gravograph. I haven't seen anything any better.

Not exactly a direct answer to your question, but years ago I searched for a method to replace engraved plates that was more flexible with a more modern appearance. The method I came up with was doing it with a vinyl printer/cutter. This method gives you endless graphic and color possibilities. The drawing is printed on a clear vinyl, applied to the panel, then sprayed with a protective clear coat to ensure the print cannot be worn off. I am amazed at how durable the coating is. You can aggressively dig it with a finger nail and still can't get through it.

I used to print these myself, but found it easier to just send the drawing to the local sign shop. The printer/cutters are quite expensive ($15,000+) and can be tedious to use.

Attached is a picture of what the final result looks like. Overlook the missing speed control knob, this picture was taken before that was put on.

OIButtons.jpg

Archie;
How do you send the info to the sign shop? Cad drawing?
I make the drawings in Adobe Illustrator, but convert them to PDF before sending them to the sign shop. So I can actually draw it with any software and export to PDF. I do have to draw them to exact scale because the shop I use sends them directly to their printer.

Archie, that's really nice. I've often wondered how that type printing was done on operator panels, etc.
we have a Brady BBP33 printer. I can order the blanks from Brady and print my own, but they're not nearly as nice as what Archie does.

Yep the coat works fine, however when cleaning or when using oil it is simpler to ask for 2 print and stick them on top of each other. When the top is damaged no problem as the underlayer is protected.
I also send it to the printshop, indeed colors are fine, even complete backgrounds of machines can be used,

If only a few nameplates are needed i would go for a juwelers engraver.
Or a simple CNC engraver. within arduino they are cheap and still very versatile
500 $ is cheapest new machine.