OT: It looks like I will have to pick classes soon.

testsubject

The time is fast approaching where I will need to pick my tech electives. What a decision! There seems to be so many ways to slice an EE degree! I am really thinking about Robotics. I think that it may be time to get out of the controls industry. One nice thing is that robotics and controls have many things that are similar; motors, sensors, and programming, to name a few.

How do these kids do it? I am sitting here staring at the classes to take next semester and am floundering on what to take next. lol. It can be a little overwhelming. I have already mentioned to one of the councilors that it would be nice if there was a list that suggested what classes to take based on the EE discipline you may be interested in: i.e., Robotics, IC design, Power Controls, Cellphone design. It would definitely make it easier to pick classes then.

Anyway, just ranting a little.

Bob

Heck, I'd go for robotics. But I'm a hands-on kinda guy.

Cell phones? next step would be interaural implants - requires a medical degree in RF design.

Maybe medical??? Someone has to design the pocket MRI

Don't forget us lowly plc peeps

Rod(Too old to larn no more)

I would say go for the robotic.

Its area which growing and growing.
Add to that networks , communication systems and OS.compicated robotic systems will have to talk each others.Better then the standart PLCs doing today.
I believe that what is going to be the future of the automation world.

Bob, if you have any tech electives in the telecommunications area, LAN, WAN, etc, you should get a bit of that in there as well. Routers, switches and the like are going to be an ever increasing part of any system, robotic or control. Good luck! It is an exciting time to be in school.

Consider

Do you want to be a user or designer? You had better say designer if you are investing this many resources at this stage of life.
Are the robotic manufacturing companies near where you live or will you have to go to Japan.
Just what is a robot? Something with an articulated arm?
Robots are just tools. Learn the math and physics. It will always be good.

A local professor making a set of courses and he has or had robotics on it. Robotics is the 'cool' thing to learn now. We told him that there are few 'robots' around here that we know of, but there is plenty of automation, optimization, and power generation.

Just a thought, when I was in college and got my EE degree, I took a couple of electives in Power Systems and electromechanic energy conversion. I realized that as fast as technology changes, power will always be needed. It has helped me tremendously in the past and in this job (I got it because I knew both the PLCs and Power). A good overall engineer understands that the system that feeds the robots and plcs needs to be properly designed and protected. Too many times nowadays, the person putting in the cabinet just picks a breaker big enough for the system and wire size. There is so much more to it than that!

Thanks for all the feedback...

These are all real good points to take into consideration. And yes, Peter, I want to be a designer. I want to do something more than be a glorified tech, which is all I am right now.

One of the classes that is available is Microelectromechanical System, which looks real interesting.

I was also thinking of taking Power Semiconductor Devices and Integrated Circuits, which also looks good.

There is also a separate Robotics Class that I really want to take but to take that I have to take another Computer course because it is a prereq. This is what kind of got me started on my rant about wanting a chart to help determine which classes one should take.

What's wrong with being a glorified tech? :D

Seriously, given the chance, I would take a networking class and Visual Basic/C/what-have-you. Two things I often find myself wishing for.

I took an MS Access introductory course about eight years ago, and it still pays dividends...

TM

I have no idea which way to go myself, I assume you are in the 400 level just prior to the Senior team design project (or whatever your school calls it), in other words your Major.

I think the Power system aspect bruce discusses is a good thing to have because as he stated...Power will always be needed.

I am leaning toward networking and wireless but have not worked out the details yet. I know no matter what happens Programming will be a big part of it...not just plcs either.

So many times when I am in a plant the maintenance personel have no clue about the incoming power other than amp rating and cable sizing for the amp rating. Many problems for drives, controls and robotics stems from incoming power and the things affecting it.

Learning more about it will let you do a better job of keeping line problems from bothering your equipment and your equipment from bothering the line.

You know, Tim, after I sent that I realized that it did not come out quite right. I think I realize that you were just ribbing me but I do want to make it clear that there nothing wrong with being a tech. I just want something more. As a tech, I cannot get that. I do system design but all it really is is putting pieces together to make bigger pieces.