OT: Lets Compare Drawing Title Blocks

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
Over the years I've never found a drawing title block that I've been totally happy with for electrical drawings, one that doesn't get in the way of vertical ladder space. Here is what I'm currently using, but I would be interested in seeing others and what you like and don't like.

I normally use ledger size paper (11" x 17") and have 2 templates - portrait and landscape. The title/logo always goes on the bottom right but I reserve the ability to move the revision block around to make space if required.

Just to offer up some food for thought and to pour some chum on shark-infested waters in hopes of provoking a feeding frenzy:

You have to ask yourself if all of the information in the title block is really necessary. The title block is a holdover from the days when drawings were created by scraping graphite onto vellum. Nowadays the vast majority of drawings exist as computer files. The author and revision history can be included included in the file properties. You don't put title blocks on documents created with word processing software even though those documents may include approvals and revisions. The disclaimer and company logo don't do much other than take up space. Who cares who made the drawing and who approved it? In my opinion, anything more than the drawing number (including page X of Y) and revision level is superfluous.

Steve Bailey said:
Just to offer up some food for thought and to pour some chum on shark-infested waters in hopes of provoking a feeding frenzy:

You have to ask yourself if all of the information in the title block is really necessary. The title block is a holdover from the days when drawings were created by scraping graphite onto vellum. Nowadays the vast majority of drawings exist as computer files. The author and revision history can be included included in the file properties. You don't put title blocks on documents created with word processing software even though those documents may include approvals and revisions. The disclaimer and company logo don't do much other than take up space. Who cares who made the drawing and who approved it? In my opinion, anything more than the drawing number (including page X of Y) and revision level is superfluous.

Hi all,

In the UK I find that we always have to supply a copy of the drawings in paper format as well as electronically to the customer which means that we need to have title blocks on our drawings. In some cases the customer will specify that drawings produced have to be created on their template drawing using their title, revision and numbering philosophies.

Personally, I have seen title blocks that fill 1/3 of the page, most of which consist of the logo and other useless info. I currently use a title block that sits in the RH lower corner and is limited in its content. I then add (as required) revision boxes giving the detail of revisions made. these can be positioned up the page on top of the title block or along the bottom of the page depending on where you need the most room. This means you don't fill up the drawing with revision detail space until you need to.

Cheers,

Outrage

Here's one that I modified for 11 x 17 Paper. My only changes to it were to the way the revision blocks are arranged. Before, the title block area was only half the width and the orientation was horizontal (landscape). I changed that to vertical (portrait?), and made the whole bottom area the title block and revision note area.

EDIT: Don't know why one of my text items is still cyan?.?.? I selected the monochrome ctb file, but I am using a freeware PDF converter...

Last edited:
Portrait?

Nice drawing. Do you always supply the drawings printed in portrait mode?

Off topic -- Have you ever heard of a company in OKC named WD Distributing?

Our title block resides in the lower right hand corner of an 11 x 17 sheet. I dont bother with revision numbers, but re-date the drawing on every revision. The drawing should include;Your company info, the basic project info & specs, the date of the last revision, Page X of Y, and who did the drawing.

wow 8 lines? How many pages is you drawing package?
I dont mean to sound rude its just that our schematics have 2 columns of 40 lines.

Last edited:
jcr said:
Nice drawing. Do you always supply the drawings printed in portrait mode?

Off topic -- Have you ever heard of a company in OKC named WD Distributing?

Most of my drawings here have been reworking vendor drawings to match what I have found on the machinery. I prefer the vertical layout. Most of our machinery can be coverd in detail in 50 sheets or less, many of them only one or two pages when done this way.

I haven't heard of WD Distributing, but I have only been here for 4 months, and I live out in the sticks west of here so I rarely spend much time in OKC.

Paul

One think I like to do with my block is to put the drawing number in the top right as well as the bottom right. Then when your looking for a drawing you can quicly find the number and don't have to search for it on the title block. It is also nice when your working copy gets old to have the drawing number in more than one spot. I have seen alot of prints with ripped corners or the worst coffee spills on that wipe out the drawing number.

Most of the places I have worked did not have electronic copies for their machines. Thats one reason I like to put all my drawings on the HMI so they can reprint or at least look at them on the machine when needed.

CharlesM said:
One think I like to do with my block is to put the drawing number in the top right as well as the bottom right. Then when your looking for a drawing you can quicly find the number and don't have to search for it on the title block. It is also nice when your working copy gets old to have the drawing number in more than one spot. I have seen alot of prints with ripped corners or the worst coffee spills on that wipe out the drawing number.

Most of the places I have worked did not have electronic copies for their machines. Thats one reason I like to put all my drawings on the HMI so they can reprint or at least look at them on the machine when needed.

What a neat idea - do you know how to get a CAD or PDF drawing onto a PV1000 plus?