OT: Need help regarding steam

mrtweaver

Ok I was not sure where I could post this or if there is any answers on this site. But I hope someone can help.

I have an older Burnham B3 boiler to heat my home. I recently replaced the broken pressure gage with a new pressure gage that has the same pressure rating on it and it also has temp gage on it.

So here is the problem I can see the temp gage rise, it usually gets to around 208F. But it never builds up any pressure.

So I am thinking that there must be some formula that will tell you if you have this much water, apply this much heat, you will get this much steam. I am fairly certain the boiler is getting hot enough but maybe the previous owner was wrong with the amount of water needed in the tank. So I am asking if anyone know of a formula for this I would greatly appreciate knowing it so I can apply it to my boiler and find out why I am not generating any pressure. Maybe if I had pressure it would heat the home better.

Thanks and have a great day.

Be very careful here.

Most boilers I've seen for residential use have two pressure ratings on them, one for hot water and one for steam. Typically 15 and 5 psi respectivey.

Do you have radiators throughout the house and how many pipes are connected to them? Are there pumps near the oiler?

Probably best to call in a pro here.

Shawn

To answer the questions, yes there are radiators thorough the house. There is only one pipe connected to each radiator, on the other side is what I will call a top hat or vent valve. And no there is no pumps or anything like that.

Boiler sits in basement, pipe goes up from boiler and is split then arrives at each of the radiators.

As for the pro I have thought about calling one in just do not have the time at this point. And with the wife being homebound and unemployed it makes things a bit tougher. Just thought someone might have an answer or a formula or something that would let me know.

Now way you are saying is that the pressure for steam is lower than the pressure for hot water? Is that correct?

All of the residential boilers that I have been around have had a 5 psi steam pressure rating and a 15 psi water rating. These are the large multi segment type cast iron coal fired boilers.

Yours is certainly a steam only system with only one pipe to the radiators. That pipe supplies steam and is the condensate drain path.

Unfortunately, all of those boilers I've seen were setup for hot water, not steam.

Hope this helps.
Shawn

Don't you need to get above 212°F before you are making steam to create Steam Pressure?

Or are you looking to read water pressure from some sort of circulation pump?

All of the residential boilers that I have been around have had a 5 psi steam pressure rating and a 15 psi water rating. These are the large multi segment type cast iron coal fired boilers.

Yours is certainly a steam only system with only one pipe to the radiators. That pipe supplies steam and is the condensate drain path.

Unfortunately, all of those boilers I've seen were setup for hot water, not steam. Hope this helps. Shawn

Sounds like steam to me also. Somewhat surprised at steam in residential.

Pressure and temperature for saturated steam are definitely interelated. 212 F at atmospheric ie 14.7 psi absolute ie boiling water on cook top.

Get yourself a set of steam tables. They are in Machinery Handbook. 15 psi steam (29 absolute) has saturation temp of about 230F if memory correct.

I think I would get a boiler outfit in there to take a look at this unit. Properly operated with proper operating controls steam can be very safe. Improper etc etc you can have a bomb. Nothing to mess around with.

Dan Bentler

To add to what Leitmotif said,

Steam, even at very low pressure, contains an incredible amount of energy. You know how much volume a gallon of water is. Take that very same gallon of water and convert it to steam and it takes up roughly 1000x the volume. Look on youtube for water heater explosions to see the power of steam. I don't want to sound preachy but you've got two ex navy nukes saying you should call in a pro on this one.

Shawn