OT: remote data acquisition options

mpiotro

Folks,
Sorry for the off topic posting.....
I'm looking to setup a remote data acquisition system (fairly basic, a few analog and digital inputs).

Web based systems seem the best choice, and I realize there are a ton of options out there, but this setup (and future ones)will be done at a customer site.

My concern is that the customer would not or could not allow access to their network for this (firewall).

I see modem access as an alternative, but are there any other options? Are there ways of setting up something web based that can work around a firewall?

-Mike

Is your customer willing to set up a VPN for your data acquisition?
I have a customer in Venezuela who point blank refused to allow us remote access to our machine via the web, however he did (eventually) set up a VPN for us to do so. We can now troubleshoot/reprogram his machine without leaving the office (y)

Same deal as MartB, customer provided VPN access and routes me directly to the device, probably limiting my access elsewhere.

Dan

We are looking at the same situation as mpiotro. The end user said something about using a VPN. What is a VPN? What softwarte/hardware is needed to make it work on our end as well as theirs.
Thanks,
Micheal

Fundamentally, your customer will have OK remote access for this to work. A VPN is a secure way of doing so. They come in many flavors: hardware, software, site to site, client connects to network similar to a Dial up connection, etc. Searches will yield a lot of good info - there's been many good discussions on this topic.

I would argue that besides being much slower and more expensive to operate, modems pose a higher security risk than VPNs in general. Obviously depends how you engineer your solution.

mpiotro said:
Folks,
Sorry for the off topic posting.....
I'm looking to setup a remote data acquisition system (fairly basic, a few analog and digital inputs).

Web based systems seem the best choice, and I realize there are a ton of options out there, but this setup (and future ones)will be done at a customer site.

My concern is that the customer would not or could not allow access to their network for this (firewall).

I see modem access as an alternative, but are there any other options? Are there ways of setting up something web based that can work around a firewall?

-Mike