OT: Residential Well Water Treatment

You might need a filtering media to keep out those bugs but allow the air to go through.

I once was helping my brother install a new pump because the old one burned out. He had problems for years with sand and gravel getting into his water suppply. When we got the new pump going, I was letting it pump to clean out the pipes and dumping the water near the well casing. To my surprise, it quickly disappeared like it was being sucked downward. I examined the soil around the casing and found that it was just gravel, even though the surrounding soil had a lot of fine dirt. Then I saw that the well top was completely sealed with no open air vent. Over the years, the vacuum in the well casing had caused all the fine dirt, sand, and gravel to be sucked into the well, so that around the well casing all that was left was large porus gravel.

A vent pipe with filter eliminated the sand and gravel in the water, and the pump lasted much longer.

Last edited: