OT Rockwell E-Learning Woes

MikeyN

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello All,

I am taking the E-Learning class for FactoryTalk View Site Edition Programming offered by Rockwell. I felt like it was going well until I missed a question on the assessment for this chapter. I went back and reviewed the lesson, and am pretty sure my answer was correct, but I will ask here to confirm.

If you create pushbuttons in your project to navigate displays, how do you test that the pushbuttons are going to the correct displays? Should you use the test display button, or create a client to test?

IMO the answer to this isn't life or death, but they are attempting to illustrate that there are limitations to simply hitting the test display button.

I remember running into similar issues when I took a free E-Learning course during the height of the pandemic shutdowns, but never did find a way to report potential errors to Rockwell.

The test environment will ignore the display command. You will have to create a client to test display navigation.

My answer was "By creating and running a FactoryTalk View SE Client." They marked the correct answer as "By using the Test Display button in FactoryTalk View Studio Software."

I knew that the display commands are ignored when using the test display button. Rereading the question again, perhaps it was just poorly worded. "You have created pushbuttons to help you navigate between displays in your FactoryTalk View SE application. What would you do to verify the buttons are working correctly in the individual graphic display?"

I guess if I just want to see the button change to the pressed state, test mode would be fine. What if I mistakenly chose the wrong display to redirect to? Or I copied multiple navigation buttons from other displays and forgot to redirect one of them? Using the test display function isn't going to indicate that.

I ran into similar issues with other online courses. At the end of the day, give the answer they want but know the correct answer for future. You could tell RA about this mistake but the chances of them listening, let along doing anything, is slim to none.