OT: SNOW Blowers

"how do we beat Ariens" as far as I am concerned they haven't yet.

Working on Arien's for years as the service manager of a distributor, and being to their factory at lest 20 times for service schools and events, I can say they might as well drop that idea and just try to make cheap ones.

Also I bought a Rocket rototiller then and that thing still runs great after 40 years and much use. Plus my dad bought a Fairway mower in the 60's that finally fell apart in early 2000.

Maybe if Elon Musk got into outdoor power equipment Arien's might have to worry.

NEVER buy a snowblower with a Tecumseh engine (they might be out of business now) whose bowl carburetors need the high speed jet on the bottom of the bowl re-tuned when going uphill versus downhill (obviously my driveway is inclined, northern Illinois weather).

I totally agree with Tom Jenkins: two-stage, and the motor should be 5 hp or greater; and I'd opt for 8HP or greater. Can't ever have too many horses rotating that 2nd stage.

Can't ever have too many horses rotating that 2nd stage.

Also got to use a 18HP Arein's garden tractor with a 48" snowvlower on the front. If that wasn't so much and I had more walks and drive I would get one. Plus the 48" mower deck cut 3 times faster than a regular rider.
Another nice setup I saw was a 10 foot blower on the front of a back-hoe replacing the bucket. That was a snow and fence blower, and the operator didn't even know he was removing the wood fence.

My son's SnoJoe stopped working after several years of great service.

We took it apart and I flipped one of the brushes (graphite?) around and got it to work again for a bit. He bought another one, but I think a new set of brushes should give new life to the old one. Some of the screws were shot (Upstate NY = salt).

There were lots of sparks when we hand=started it to get it running, and it ran very weakly.

The worn brush (red, left below) and commutator (blue, right) were like this:
Code:
               [COLOR=Blue][B]/
          [COLOR=Red]____[/COLOR]|[/B][/COLOR]
 spring=>[B][COLOR=red] ____\[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue]\[/COLOR][/B]
The angles in that "drawing" are not to scale and far more subtle in the actual motor, of course.

So we flipped one brush around like this
Code:
               [COLOR=Blue][B]/
          [COLOR=Red]____[/COLOR]|[/B][/COLOR]
 spring=>[B][COLOR=red] ____/[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue]\[/COLOR][/B]
and the thing took off near full power when we threw the switch!

So I think the problem was inadequate pressure and/or contact surface between brush and commutator.

It died again a few snowfalls later, probably the other brush had the same problem. He replaced it and gave the old one to his brother in-law.

All those years with @OldChemEng mucking about with the fabulous "pancake motors" of Aurora HO slot cars paid off, eh?

[Update: and here it is, just like I remember!]
pancake.png

Last edited:
I have that model, and it works well if the snow is not too heavy. I used it on my 16 x 20' deck with snow to the top of its auger - it worked well. I used it on the driveway with a wetter snow, and I would push it into the snow, throw about a foot of snow, trip its overload, and then I would back up and do another push. Somewhere I have a picture of it working the deck...