Overload protection on a DC motor

controlled

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a small paper winder that is driven my a WER DC drive feeding a 250 Vdc motor. This is a fairly old machine that is not certified (CSA, UL, MET).

It is a law in Ontario that every piece of equipment be certified before it is put in service.

I had a field inspector look the machine over, and he stated it needs a contactor and overload installed between the drive and the motor. I am fine with the 2 pole contactor, but I'm not sure about the overload. Should it monitor both the armature positive lead and negative, or just the positive.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Generally one is enough. I prefer 2 myself due to the posibility of one side grounding out prior to the brushes.

Or if your motor has feild windings and is not a permant magnet style I would definatly use 2.