Panel View PLC Comms

Keith Taylor

How the heck can this work. 3 Panel Views 3 controllers on Ethernet 2 PV's are dedicated to their respective controller. 1 PV is linked to all 3 controllers. Looking at the names used for each controller:- Tom Dick and Harry for the sake of names. The topic name short cut for the 2 PV's dedicated to their respective controllers are Dick and Harry respectively. But when I looked in the PV which reads writes to all three controllers Tom is there logically, but the other controllers names are just controller_1 and controller_2 which to my mind makes no sence because it talks with them. o_O

Hi Keith, welcome to the Forum !

Are these PanelView Standard or PanelView Plus terminals ? What model of logic controller are you using ?

You're probably familiar with Host Names, and the host resolution protocols that virtually all computers use. PLC controllers very seldom use host name or host resolution.

Instead, both PanelView Standard and PanelView Plus define a "Shortcut" or "Controller Name" that includes a network path and address for the terminal to communicate with the controller. The "Shortcut" name is used in the PanelView application, but the name is never part of the traffic on the network; only the network driver and node numbers are used.

Shortcut names are frequently the same as the controller program name (yet another thing that looks like a host name but is not) but they are just as often model numbers or something uninteresting like "controller_1".