PanelView 600 Communication With USB to RS-232 cable...

rs14smith

I'm trying to connect to an Allen Bradley PanelView 600 with a USB to Serial (RS-232) cable, but for some reason, RSLinx is unable to connect to it.

In RSLinx, I have the right driver selected (RS-232 DF devices), and I have the right COMM port selected as well. Under the configuration settings, I have the Device set to SLC-CH0/Micro/Panelview.

When I hit the Auto Configure button, it gives a failed message after about a second or two of searching.

Am I using the wrong cable?

First, be sure the physical cable is correct. PanelView Standard 600 and PanelView Plus 600 terminals use a straight-through serial cable. Don't use the 1747-CP3 or a similar PLC programming cable without adding a null-modem adapter.

Many USB/RS232 converters can't handle the rapid change in framing commands that Autoconfigure uses. Try using the standard 19200 8/N/1 CRC framing, but don't click Autoconfigure.

Many USB/RS232 converters can't handle the rapid change in framing commands that Autoconfigure uses. Try using the standard 19200 8/N/1 CRC framing, but don't click Autoconfigure.

I was able to connect to the old PLC (SLC I believe, I had to use the serial cable for it too, which was connected to my USB-RS-232 cable) they had, but when I tried to use the same cable to connect to the PanelView 600 port, I could not communicate with it.

I will try what you suggested tomorrow and not use the Autoconfigure.

Did you also read this part.

PanelView Standard 600 and PanelView Plus 600 terminals use a straight-through serial cable. Don't use the 1747-CP3 or a similar PLC programming cable without adding a null-modem adapter.

Did you also read this part.

Yeah I read that, and I assume I am using a straight through cable. I've also been reading other posts about this problem, and I was curious how I could make sure that the serial port has not been configured for a printer? From my understanding, if it has, then I will not be able to transfer applications (upload/download).

Navigate to the Configuration Menu (simultaneously press the LEFT and RIGHT arrow terminal keys), select Printer Setup.
The applet's Port Mode state will determine if the RS-232 port has been enabled to "print" or not; toggle the F10 key in order to disable/enable printing to the serial port.