Panelview an AB SLC150 or Minimum Config

bryonc1213

My SLC 150 and I/O Controllers program for the Coal Yard is working for the most part. But I had a thought today :>)

Their used to be a lot of peripherals to do things like that once upon a time.

So can you hook up a Panel view to the 1745 PLC 150?
Or is the panel view only designed for the later 05/series and up

Or another cheap way to have a panel view setup open to suggestions.

Not sure how many Remember the Old Chicago Museum of science and industry model train layout which was tubular O gauge Lionel Track with the control panel before the current Ho Layout

My idea was to setup a control panel to show the attendees what’s going on like the old museum display in Chicago.

The only electronic user interface I ever saw for the SLC-150 controllers was called a "TCAT", which I think stood for "Timer Counter Access Terminal".

I don't think there was ever a PanelView or similar HMI terminal that could connect to the SLC-150 controllers.

The interface is *probably* RS-422... there are some posts around here about the 1745-PCC module. The protocol can be found in some dusty old manuals.

It sounds like it's a sort of a labor of love, but from a practical sense if you want an electronic HMI you need a more modern controller.

yea you are correct about tcat and rs-422 Big 8 pin also
did a little research looks lile plc-5 famely maybe the minimum not 100 percent certain?

looks like i need rslogix 5 any chance AB made this legacy sw?
I may have a copy some place if the diskett is any good yes i said diskette gives you some idea how long its been since i messed with 1771 stuff :>)

For the money you would spent on a 5 and software you can buy a micrologix 1100 and get free software. Then I would use a Redlion G3 HMI.

I don't know anything about the 150 protocol but you could write your own 422 driver in a Redlion. It would be ugly and time intensive. You could replace the 150 with a new 1100 and some I/O for under a $1000. Or if you where not hung up on the AB name you could use a simple Automation Direct Click.

I am all about recycling to a point the plc-5 and panel view seems like i maybe able to do it under 500 bucks. but the other idea is worth pursuit not sure what the cost is ?
1000 bucks is a lot of money for a pet project

micrologix and a Redlion G3 HMI. intesrting idea what else would i need?

i have many I/O and low voltage circuits ac/dc around 15-30V
some control are 115vac