Panelview Plus 7 Losing Connection

Aleronick

Lifetime Supporting Member
My PVP7 (performance) Hmi keeps losing connection to plc.
Plc is L33ER v31.011, Switch is Stratix 5400, also on the network are two EIP leak test machines. I've used this setup on several other machines just like this before and never seen this.
I've triple checked for ip conflicts, swapped enet cables, and reset everything to factory defaults; nothing works.
After a power cycle, the Hmi seems to work just fine, then the next morning, no connection.
The strange thing is, when all is connected and running fine, I can ping the plc and LTs, but CANNOT ping the PVP7 hmi.
I'm drawing a blank at this point. Any suggestions?

What FW are you using? Make sure you are at 10 or higher. I run FW 12 and by far the best FW IMO.

Assuming you are using Static IPs?

I have 40+ PVP 7's to my name all talking to L33 or L36, and have not experienced what you are describing.

Could be a bad unit, is it still under warranty?

I had a nightmare of a problem about 2 years ago . I had 2 out of 5 Panelview's lose communication on one machine I upgraded. I was using Rockwell Stratus Unmanaged Switches . I had to turn the Dip Switch on top of the ethernet switch to On. " Enables broadcast storm protection" .

This problem happened for weeks , till I did that and the problem went away .

I'm using the newest FW that AB had available (as of last week) it's 12. something.
All static IP addresses.
The stratix switch is a "managed switch" but it's not configured. I've used this same switch 10x or more and never done anything different. I'll have to check the manual and the switch for dip switches.

I really don't get why I cannot ping it when it IS communicating.
I've not seen that ever, not in 15 years of doing this.

just some guesses on my part.

is the system connected to a wifi network?
if so, could be an outside device with the same ip address is connecting to the plc. that drove me nuts for 4 hours until i talked to my coworker and we found out a display panel went bad and maintenance plugged in one that was in storage.
is it also possible that someone is connecting a laptop or other device to the network that has the same ip address?