Panelview Plus PLC5/40

Dsager01

I have a customer that has an Panelview 1200 that has failed with no back up. It is connected to a PLC5/40. I don't have a problem recreating the screens in Factory Talk View. I used Panelview Plus HMI's several years ago with the 2711p-RN6 comm card with success but from what I have read it requires firmware 5.10 or older.

My question is would anyone recommend using a serial connection to CH0 on the PLC?

Or should I install a older terminal with firmware 5.10 and use the DH+/RIO comm card?

This machine is going to be around a while.

Thanks,

Doug

I have uses comm0 of a plc5 and a pv+1000 with great success. Just don't exceed 30feet without converting it to RS485 first. Lol

Serial is great; much easier to use than RIO.
Just a note when using serial, keep the data requests small.

RIO is complicated to setup and you have to (really want to) know how to do it.
Basically, if you could get it working then you knew not to expect a lot of data real fast.

But with serial, you can ask for any tag that you want and use any update rate you want.
That doesn't mean it will work.

If possible, keep all of the tag data on a screen within the same 50 address block.
Change the display update rate to 2 seconds if you can, or 1 at the fastest.
Use direct reference tags; do not use HMI tags (they will add delays to roundtrip writes/reads).