Panelview scrolling message

Deer

Hi all,

I just wondering if somebody know how to make scrolling message display on the panelview.
I have make a simple program using RSLogix500 and Panelbuilder32 s/w.
When there is no fault on the machine, the message display give a message " system running ok" on the PV screen.
When there is a fault on the machine (like: motor overload,etc) message display will displaying "motor overload".
My question, how to make message display on the PV can scrolling in a periodic time if there are other fault that must be displaying in the same time ?
Any suggest would be appreciated.
Thanks and regards,

Deer

Some models of PV have a built in scroll, but that means scroll a long line so one can read all the text, NOT scroll multiple messages.

If you use the alarm banner feature, you can get a list of the last alarms, and they will auto scroll to show the newest. You may configure Clear, Acknowledge, and may show a time/date stamp.

To 'roll your own', there are several ways.
I use a FIFO stack of messages; each time one is acknowledged, another pops up or it displays the "No Fault" message. There is no history with my method.

If you only have four messages, as in the sample, check out my idea. If you have many more than that, my method will have to be modified a little. I used the same idea as I use to make multiple Block Transfers execute continuously, but independently.

If you wanted to get all crazy, you could send a character array to the panelview, and use a shift register to make the character array scroll. If you have multiple messages that will need to be displayed one after another you could just vary what your feeding to the shift register.

Im not so sure about the details of it in RSLogix 500, but I know you could do it in RSLogix 5000

I think you just about have it.
Just change the read properties in the Multistate indicator from Least Significant Bit to Value.

If I remember right, I had to change the Value in the States tab to the binary equivilent.
IOW if the oil level is low, B3:0/4 then the value in the states is 1000 ---> 8.
Good luck!

Do you really need to 'scroll' the messages?

If you just want the ability to display multiple messages 'sequentially', you might want to have a look at THIS THREAD. Read the whole thing so you don't get lost. This worked GREAT for me!... (y)

beerchug

-Eric

least significant bit or Value?

Hi,

Thanks all for your reply, its very nice suggest and great samples.
93lt1 ladders is simple but a little problem comes when we have many message that must be display (my application have about 54 message), so of course there are many many timer and arrays to do it.
I don't know what is the best way, use a least significant bit or use a value on the message list.
Eric, until now I still learn about your post and may be in a few day I will try with my controller.
Anyway, many thanks for your reply.

Regards,

Deer

I had the same problem about a year ago. IF i get some time later i can try to post my solution. 93LT1 actually helped me on it and it works pretty well.

Last I remember, you should just be able to set up the messages in
the PanelView and have your program MOVe the message number to the
PanelView output. The PanelView and PLC communications timing should
give you a sequencing of ALL of the messages you tell the PanelView
to display. At my workplace we have a system that has a SLC-503 and
a PanelView 550. The program sends many different messages to the
PV, and since only 2 lines of our display are used by the PV for
messages, the end result is a sequence of all of the messages sent.
Each message winds up being show for about a half-second before the
next comes up.

This is my experience. Your mileage may vary.