PanelView Uploads & Downloads

pablo2000

Here's an easy one for all you AB programmers! Why can't I get comms working to a PanelView through the serial port using the AB-DF1 driver? The PanelView has been installed by vendors and I want to get a copy of the software. Shouldn't I be able to just upload using the PanelBuilder package?

Printer Port Maybe?

pablo2000,

Which PV do you have?
We have a PV600 Color Touch [I can’t remember the PN] but we use an AIC to talk to the PV because the serial port is for reserved for a printer.
Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Bob O.

One other thing, usually for serial uploads and downloads on the serial port of Panelviews you will need a straight-through serial cable and not a null modem cable. The null modem cable is good for going online serially to an AB PLC, but not for the Panelview.

panelview type & protocol

hi,

the uploading depends on lot of things like security , protocol of the terminal df1, dh485 or dh+.........the panelview ver no. can reveal these things......

if u tell us exactly how did u try & what error u get .........we can help u depending on that

regards,

Mandar Joshi

Pablo2000 is right about sometimes not being able to access the PV600 through the serial port.

I have had the same problems, and have not been able to rectify the situation. Some of the documentation explains that the serial port must be turned off in the PV application...obviously. In the apps that I have attempted to upload, the serial port is not even being used.

How do you use the AIC/PIC driver? Are you saying run the AIC/PIC driver, but use a straight 9pin dshell cable? I used the cable that is specified in the PV manual, a P/N 1756-CP3.

Let me know if you resolve any of these issues,

Thanks

OK, I noted the post on the cable type from LJBMatt and got hold of a 2711-NC13 cable. The error message I get now says that the terminal is not a panelview. Anyone ever seen this? It's a PanelView 1000, I'm using PanelBuilder32 ver. 3.80. Any help in this would be nice; I am continually making a clown of myself in front of the operations staff! (How come there are no embarrassed smileys?)

Also, excuse my ignorance, but what is the AIC?

Last edited:
The AIC device is an Allen Bradley Communications Protocol enhancer/device. In Rslinx, the PIC/AIC driver is an option for comm drivers. In any case in which you use a PIC box, you would have picked this driver from the RSlinx drivers when you establish communications. The AIC is yet another device used by AB in changing communciation types from rs-485/dh-485/ethernet....etc.
You should be able to upload and download from the PV using the cable that you have specified. I have done it dozens of times........
Are you communciating via the pass-through RSlinx?
If so, specify the PIC/AIC device as a driver.
Also, run the DF1 driver. They may collide in comms because the DF1 uses the com1 port, and most likely so does the PIC/AIC. Only enable one at a time in RSlinx and test comms for both.
You will see the PV in the Linx window upon comms being set correctly, just like processors, other nodes...etc.

Good luck.

Don;t be afraid to ask for more help if req's.