PanelView1000 Alarms

Leeroy

Trying to setup an alarm to be triggered once a counter is complete. So far I have this working correctly, once the counter is complete an alarm pops up saying 'Counter Complete' and then the operator must acknowledge this error before using the HMI again.

What I want to know is can I stop PLC logic too when this alarm comes up? What I mean by this is if there is an error and it has not be acknowledged, can I prevent the operator from starting the machine? (ie. pressing a pushbutton will not turn on a light/motor/etc... until alarm acknowledged) I can see in the alarm setup and alarm trigger screens that there are tags that might do this but am confused as to what they all do.

Any help would be most appreciated. If you need more information let me know.

The "Alarm triggering mechanism" is most likely located within the PLC application logic.
You will have to "go and find" (connecting the CPU development software) the PLC tag/address which triggers the HMI alarm and then use its state to "condition" the desired system functionality.

Yes I did setup an address within my PLC (SLC 5/03 if that makes a difference) so the alarm would be triggered once the counter is done. I could latch the bit that I'm using but I would still like to just reset the counter or unlatch the bit using the button that pops up (acknowledge button) when there is an alarm.

First you will have to remove the alarm condition(s); once the condition has been removed, the HMI application Acknowledge Push Button could be "related" to a PLC address which is inserted with the "Alarm" condition's "logical latch" and "release it".
As for resetting the "Alarm Counter" accumulator you could be using the same "Acknowledge designated" address and use it to RES the counter at the moment it changes states (the operator Acknowledges the Alarm which's conditions have been previously removed).
Is it a PanelView Plus or a Standard PanelView?

Standard panelview, I don't know if the HMI automatically relates the 'acknowledge push button' to an address in the PLC, I think I have to specify that so I'll keep testing things out.

Within the PanelBuilder 32 application file's left pane Project Tree, Alarms folder, Setup -> Remote Tags tab you could assign a tag to the "Ack All Tag" field; the tag will have to be created within the PB32 Tag Editor utility and "related" to a PLC address just like the rest of HMI application's tags.
Once the application is successfully edited and verified it would have to be downloaded to the HMI terminal.
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/gr/2711-gr003_-en-p.pdf

I have tried that as well as some other things as well. In the alarm trigger section I have a tag in the 'Ack Tag' field. Right now this is set to n7:21 in my PLC but when I acknowledge the alarm, its not changing the value. The field you mention I have set as N7:11 and thats not changing either. Both of these tags are set as unsigned integers.

What I don't understand is when I used a 'remote acknowledge tag', both the 'ack tag' and 'remote handshake tag' would change depeding on the remote acknowledge tags state.

I'll keep trying things and hopefully will get it working.

Last edited:
It might be an issue with the SLC-to-HMI communications.
If the Remote "Ack All" tag "is working", however, the "Ack Tag" is not, you might want to increase the "hold" time from the default 500 ms to 750 or 1000 ms (Alarms/Setup -> Time Values)
Also make sure nothing within the RSLogix 500 application file overwrites the N7:21 word (or any of its bits!).

If the Remote "Ack All" tag "is working", however, the "Ack Tag" is not, you might want to increase the "hold" time from the default 500 ms to 750 or 1000 ms (Alarms/Setup -> Time Values)
This is what I don't understand. When I was toggling the 'remote ack tag', the 'Handshake Tag' and 'remote Handshake Tag' were switching values (0 and 1). I can't seem to get the 'Ack tag' to work. I tried changing the hold time too with no luck as well.

I believe the Renote "Ack All" writing to "Ack Tag" address too is "normal behavior"; why "Ack Tag" does not work by itself?....:unsure:
Within the "Alarm Messages" configuration spreadsheet, do you have both the ACK and DISPLAY columns "checked"?

Well, I knew the solution to whatever I was doing wrong was going to be silly. So it ended up that in the alarm banner that the acknowledge button automatically made actually wasn't an alarm acknowledge button. When I deleted that and made a knew one, the 'Ack Tag' would come on for 1 second (have it at 1000ms). Thanks for the help!