Passing Parameters twice

Lisa3003Lisa

I'm using FactoryTalk ME version 13. I'm aware how to pass a parameter file once, but I was wondering if it is possible to do it twice.

Scenario:
I have multiple I/O racks, and each rack has a different number of slots. My idea was to have a Go To button for each rack with a parameter list with {[PLC]Rack1}, {[PLC]Rack2}, etc. All of those Go To buttons would go to the same display, which would have a Go To button for each slot that the selected rack has. Within those slot Go To buttons I wanted to put another parameter list, like {[PLC]#1.Slot1} or #1.{[PLC]Slot1}.

However, I'm not sure if it is possible as I have not had a success.

Are you using parameter files or simply a parameter list?

I have tried and failed to use parameter files in this way without involving the Global Connections settings of the HMI and a PLC. You do have the ability to "build" a parameter file name in a PLC as a literal string and read it with the HMI under Global Connections\Display\Parameter File. If you designate a string tag in this connection, the HMI will attempt to load a parameter file whose name matches the contents of this tag whenever it changes/refreshes the screen. If you do this, you could opt for a set of interlocked buttons instead of GoTo buttons that change a numerical reference in the PLC, which triggers a new parameter file name to be built, and triggers a screen change that implements the new parameter file.

Hopefully this helps. I spent a fair amount of time on the topic of parameters in FTView a while back and found the FTView Studio User Manual to be quite helpful. If you'd like an example of what I described PM me and I'll see if I can pare down one of my recent projects and send it over.

Cheers.

Parameter passing is possible with both parameter files or parameter list to pass parameters from a display to other displays that are opened from that display
Have a look in the FTView Studio ME User Manual in the Use parameters and global objects chapter, Parameter passing topic for guidance.

If I am understanding you correctly, you want to open a display and in doing so calling a parameter file to display your rack options based off of the goto display. Which will use said rack number to control other parameters when opening another display? I recently did something similar with a pop up and list for bypassing sensors on a machine. (our crib is not very good as keeping things stocked) What I did was use a Piloted list in the first screen, for my display visibility, then referenced that same value for the next parameter.

So for your example: piloted list selector, set your states to their corresponding number i.e. state1 = 1 state2 = 2
Value = {[PLC]RackDisplayTag}
Indicator = {#1}
Remote Access = 1 (I actually had to make and Always_On tag in the PLC and set it to a constant of 1)

Parameter file: #1 = Numbers[XX] However big of an array you need then set each diminsion to it's corresponding number i.e Numbers[1] = 1

So when you open the first display it calls that parameter file sets {[PLC]RackDisplayTag} to whichever value that you chose with the parameter file which you can then use for your visibility.

Then for your next goto display call another parameter that is: #1 = {[PLC]RackDisplayTag}
#2 = Numbers[XX]
And do the same thing over except for Slot display instead.

(Note: not sure if I articulated this all that well)