Password protect buttons in RSview

peng

Can you protect individual buttons in RS view studio (Release 3.2 cpr6), as suppose to the entiere screen.

You don't say if you're using ME or SE but one option that is available to both is to give your "prohibited" buttons visibility animation based on who is logged in. (This presupposes that you're happy with the setting up of User Accounts).

Right-click on the button, select Animation...Visibility...Expression.....Functions and use the CurrentUserHasCode function.

In addition to this SE has the option to prohibit the use of commands and tag writes based on user security codes.

Yes.

One way to secure buttons is to add visibility animation to the button. If you use the CurrentUserHasSecurityCode(security code) function, you can make a button visible based on the same security codes that you use to secure a screen.

When the button is invisible, it is also inactive.

With this function, you can allow multiple security codes to see and operate a button. For example, if you want to give users with security codes A and B access to a button, the expression would be CurrentUserHasSecurityCode(A,B).

If you are using RSView SE software, you can also add security to a button using VBA (if you choose to use that option).

Rick

Set the security level for the tag which the button operates. The button can then remain visible if you want, but it won't do anything unless the proper operator is logged in.

Or

Have the button run a macro - and set security for the macro. The macro could pefrom multiple functions.

Alaric, the methods you mention would work great for RSview32. It sounds like the question was about either RSView ME or SE.

I know you can't do either of these methods in RSView ME and I don't think you can do them in RSView SE.

The other methods listed will work or you could use the Current User to set security for specific users instead of user codes. More work, but allows you a little more flexibility.

OG

Those methods work just fine in SE. But you do have to define an RSView tag instead of connecting dirctly to the tag in the PLC.