PB: reachable controller, Read/Write Error

I havePLC: CPU S7-300-2 PN/DP (6ES7 315-2EH14-0AB0)

And I am using TIA Portal v13 including (Step7 Professional SP1 Update 8, WinCC Professional SP1 Update 8).

And I have to communicate 3rd party controller called (Unisab 3) via PB.

I am already reached this stage

It’s reachable (as Slave_1).
I configured the IO Area based on 3rd party controller
See Attached Pic 1

And I am using:

16_word_input_area
16_word_input_area
10_word_input_area
10_word_output_area

Is that covering the whole 42 input from Unisab, and whole 10 output to Unisab.

As per the following word address

See Attached Pic 02

And I am doing the same in the DB

See Attached Pic 03

But, unfortunately I canot read or write from/on the 3rd party controller.

And I found only one error, on the parameter (RET_VAL) on booth side (DPWR_DAT) and (DPWR_DAT)

It was(W#16#80B1) it means:The length of the specified destination area is not identical to the configured user data length.

Why!!?

1.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg

Those JPG aren't very readable, can't you upload non-resized pics?

I can barely make out an offset column in your db so I guess optimized block access is already off.
I think when you hit compile it actually shows the real offsets so you can check if the ranges are correct

I have delete all DPRD_DAT and DPWR_DAT.

And putting PIW 912, PIW 914 ….etc in watch table, and I find (peripheral input can only be monitored in expanded mode).

After changing the watch table to expanded mode I can read values.

WHY, and how can i read it in the DB?

8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

I have delete all DPRD_DAT and DPWR_DAT.

And putting PIW 912, PIW 914 ….etc in watch table, and I find (peripheral input can only be monitored in expanded mode).

After changing the watch table to expanded mode I can read values.

WHY, and how can i read it in the DB?

Hi!

I don't get what your WHY is pointing at, maybe you mean that you see no values in IW? To do that, you must expand the Proces Image Area in the CPU settings.

To move the values to the DB, try this brute force method:
(or better; make a loop).

L PIW 912
T DBx.DBW0
L PIW 914
T DBx.DBW2
:

And to move values from the DB to profibus:
L DBx.DBWy
T PQW 912
:

Kalle

I havePLC: CPU S7-300-2 PN/DP (6ES7 315-2EH14-0AB0)

And I am using TIA Portal v13 including (Step7 Professional SP1 Update 8, WinCC Professional SP1 Update 8).

And I have to communicate 3rd party controller called (Unisab 3) via PB.

I am already reached this stage

It’s reachable (as Slave_1).
I configured the IO Area based on 3rd party controller
See Attached Pic 1

And I am using:

16_word_input_area
16_word_input_area
10_word_input_area
10_word_output_area

Is that covering the whole 42 input from Unisab, and whole 10 output to Unisab.

As per the following word address

See Attached Pic 02

And I am doing the same in the DB

See Attached Pic 03

But, unfortunately I canot read or write from/on the 3rd party controller.

And I found only one error, on the parameter (RET_VAL) on booth side (DPWR_DAT) and (DPWR_DAT)

It was(W#16#80B1) it means:The length of the specified destination area is not identical to the configured user data length.

Why!!?

Hi again!

Those functions can only be used on i/o blocks with consistency 3, or >4 bytes. It looks like your setting is consistency by word = 2 bytes, and thus DBWR/RD is not usable.

Kalle

Hi!

I don't get what your WHY is pointing at, maybe you mean that you see no values in IW? To do that, you must expand the Proces Image Area in the CPU settings.

To move the values to the DB, try this brute force method:
(or better; make a loop).

L PIW 912
T DBx.DBW0
L PIW 914
T DBx.DBW2
:

And to move values from the DB to profibus:
L DBx.DBWy
T PQW 912
:

Kalle

i will explain the issue:
i have 42 word input, and 10 word output from one machine via PB , i can read the input from watch table and if iam using expanded mode only.

i tried to read by DPRD_DAT and send to DataBlock, but its not working, Why?

and i have an errror in the DPRD_DAT
(W#16#80B1) it means:The length of the specified destination area is not identical to the configured user data length.

becaus of the data size! right? as you mentioned before its (DPRD_DAT) used only for few byte.

and note that i am using DPRD_DAT & DPWR_DAT in the same project for 23 Machine, each have 16 byte in and 16 byte out, and it working.

and if the solution to read the data in the DB, i have to use "loop"
what is the equivalent in the LAD?

and you mentioned to the process Image Area, how to expand in the CPU setting?

and note that i am using DPRD_DAT & DPWR_DAT in the same project for 23 Machine, each have 16 byte in and 16 byte out, and it working.

Check the i/o config. I guess those i/o blocks are consistent over the total area.

and if the solution to read the data in the DB, i have to use "loop"
what is the equivalent in the LAD?

You don't have to use a loop.

and you mentioned to the process Image Area, how to expand in the CPU setting?

To expand the PIA will not help you much here, but you'll find it in the hw-manager under the CPU properties. The max size differs with the CPU type.

Kalle

Edit: Wait a second.... check this thread:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=50663

Last edited:
Check the i/o config. I guess those i/o blocks are consistent over the total area.

do you mean (i/o config) for the same machien or for the whole project?
check attached A1, A2

To expand the PIA will not help you much here, but you'll find it in the hw-manager under the CPU properties. The max size differs with the CPU type.

check attached A3

i am already removed all other 23 slaves that each one have 16 byte in and 16 byte out.

and still the same Error.

sir

i am not sure if i am understanding what you mention for.

A1.jpg A2.jpg A3.jpg

Hi!

I have to summarize my understanding of your problems:

1: You want to know why DPREAD/WRITE works only for some of your equipment.

The answer is that DPREAD/WRITE only can be used on consistent IO areas that are 3, 5 or more bytes. On your A1.JPG the consistency is not shown. Perhaps you can reveal it if you push the scrollbar to the right.

2: If you check the consistency of the IO areas of your problem equipment, you will probably find that it is consistent by word. Then DPREAD/WRITE cannot be used. Then you have to copy from the PIW to the DB by tipping in L / T -instructions.
If you want to make an FC for looping the data, you'll find an example in the link I posted previously.

(I cannot show any pictures because i don't use TIA, don't have TIA (and don't like TIA))

Kalle

thank you very much for your time and support.

i think its clear now.

you are right, that is why when i tried to read 42 word by one call its not reading.

and also i tried to read 16 word (one module) by one call its not working, and the same Error.

But I think (finally, after many days of trying & testing) I just find a solution, by reading a word by word, I mean one call for one word, it working and NO errors.

But this is not practical, because I have 42 word, so 42 calls, then 42 X 8 Unisab = OMG!!

that why i tried (as you mention): Then you have to copy from the PIW to the DB by tipping in L / T -instructions.

i will try this Technique, but because it not LAD i keep it as last solution (i am not full familiar with STL).

i have tried also to use “BLKMOV”, its not giving any Error, but its not sending the data to the DB.
we can use “BLKMOV” in this case?

so you don't like TIA :)