PF40 22-comm-E Problem

robw53

i have a 22-comm-e card which has gone down this was setup as a generic module with 4 other PF4 daisey chained ive swapped a deceased 22-comm-E but now i crnt get the comms to connect to the PLC again ive setup the IP address the same, but under the tab module info under ownership its says NO and im unable to find the settings to configure this,

any help would be appreciated

Rob

the adaptor in RSNETWORX is set as V1.7 and im unable to change to 1.2 it updates but does not save to the drive

To replace a 22-COMM-E, you have to go through a handful of steps.

First, you put the module into Single Drive mode using the DIP switches so it won't try to forward messages to connected DSI devices.

Next, you set up the comms parameters and the number of slave drives that the module will be operating. You can use the HIM module or DriveTools or RSLogix 5000.

Last, you put the module back into Multi-Drive Mode with the DIP switches.

There are several RA Knowledgebase documents that explain this connection in detail; 39184, 37448, and 61674 are the best ones.

i will try that ken, in RSL5K the module fault code is as follows:

code 16#000c service request error: invalid mode or state of service request.

also looking on the web browser the status is DSI PROBLEM
and under I/O connection status it has NO CONNECTION

You won't get an I/O connection until all of the "slave" drives are configured and connected and communicating.

Definitely power cycle in between major changes like Single/Multi Drive mode.

Are these the same error codes that were present in the 22-COMM-E that was removed ?

There might be a problem with the DSI ports on one or more of the slave drives. You could try a Modbus emulator with a 232/485 converter, or maybe set up the 22-COMM-E for Single Drive mode and try it on each drive in turn.

Do you know what failed about the 22-COMM-E you removed ?

just want to thank you Ken for the advice it was the dip switch settings which wouldnt allow me to connect to the 22-COMM-E to configure it using Drive Exec, it returned a fault something along the lines of too many instances when trying to connect to the card.

after that it was just plain sailing setting it up!

i did read through the adaptor manual but didnt pick up on the fact it has to be setup in single drive mode before switching over to multidrive, ive setup the cards many times before in single drive mode, but ive learnt something new from this experience, thanks again Ken, i was praying it would be you who would be online to help as you are the AB guru.

Rob

yes i had cycled the power with every critical change i made, and i was called in another engineer had taken the old card out, but i do no that when i plugged the old one back in again it was dead, no comms lights and not able to see it in RS Linx.

^ You can thank me too. I am not a expert as Ken but I was the first one to reply. lol. Kidding. Glad you got it working.

Since searching for "invalid number of instance 22-comm-e" brings this thread up as the first hit in google, I thought I'd share how to get connected with DriveExecutive if using one in the 22-Xcomm base for multiple drives.

1) Set the dip switches both on (if mounted in panel, this is away from you). Disregard documentation talking about single mode first, it won't work.
2) Power cycle the 22-comm-e
3) Power up all the drive and connect the DSI.
4) Set parameters C302 to 4 (max baud rate) and C303 to the desired node number for each drive (start with 100 and increase in order of DSI connection to a max of 104).
5) Power cycle the drives. At this point, the 22-Comm-E status webpage will show status going from DSI problem to operational and should show your first drive.
6) Connect with drive executive and set parameter 22 on the 22-comm-e to the desired number of drives.
7) Power cycle the 22-comm-e. At this point the status webpage should show all of your drives.
8) You can now use Drive Executive to set all parameters as needed.

Steps just to be able to configure the drives with Rockwell=7 (unless you're dicking around with AOPs and firmware, then more like 700), most other platforms=0.