Changing Parameters on a PF40...

Eric Nelson

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
One of my customers has an overwrapping machine with a PowerFlex 40 controlling the infeed conveyor motor. They want to decrease the decel setting (parameter P40) from 0.5 to 0.3. They are able to change it from the keypad on the drive, and it works on the new setting. Once power is cycled though, it returns to the previous 0.5 value.

The drive is on a Devicenet network, so I'm guessing the changed value is getting overwritten? If so, then by what? In the .dnt file, there is no lock symbol present at parameter 40. What does the little 'scales' icon mean?

pf40param.jpg

HERE is a zipped copy of the .dnt file that was shipped with their machine. The drive in question is at address 4.

🍻

-Eric

P.S. I love this 'descriptive' error I get when opening the .dnt file... ;)

dneterror.jpg

I'm guessing it's trying to say that I am missing certain EDS files?

The lock symbol just designates that a particular Parameter is Read-Only.

The scales icon designates that you are looking at a scaled value, rather than a raw value. The EDS file tells RSNetworx how to convert the raw value to something meaningful for display.

Very likely the PowerFlex 40 has been configured for 'Auto-Device Replacement', in which the scanner holds the parameters and checks each time it makes a connection to be sure the parameter checksum is the same. If it's not, the scanner sends the saved parameters down to the drive.

The fact that your copy of the file shows the Accel/Decel parameters at the default values of 10 seconds suggests that you don't have the correct EDS file for the drive. There should have been a more descriptive error message with text to the effect that you don't have the same EDS file as the project file, so the parameters have been reset to defaults.

I'll take a peek at the actual *.DNT file when I get a chance.

Last edited:
I opened the file in RSNetworx for DeviceNet 10.01 and didn't get the mystery exclamation, but did get warning messages for each PowerFlex 40 saying "The device at address XX is not registered on this computer" and "The device at address xx has been redefined to use a different applet. Since the device's configuration could not be maintained, it has been reset to the default values."

On the ADR tab for the 1769-SDN, you'll see that Nodes 3, 4, 6, and 7 are configured for ADR Configuration Recovery.

That explains why the scanner was putting the saved values back into the drive.

You can just un-check the Configuration Recovery box to allow changes to be made to the drive, or make the change and re-load the Device Configuration and save the updated values to the 1769-SDN's ADR memory.

On the ADR tab for the 1769-SDN, you'll see that Nodes 3, 4, 6, and 7 are configured for ADR Configuration Recovery.

That explains why the scanner was putting the saved values back into the drive.
That makes perfect sense. Thanks Ken!... (y)

Now my issue is accessing the scanner so I can make the change to the ADR. I downloaded all four .eds files associated with the 1769-SDN, and registered them all with the EDS wizard. When I open the .dnt file, the scanner still shows up as an unregistered device... :(

The servo and PF drives, as well as the TC module are all fine. Only the scanner and the Festo valve stack get the '?'

Any ideas?

🍻

-Eric

My copy of RSNetworx for DeviceNet version 10.01 (CPR9 SR3) shows that the 1769-SDN in your project is a version 2.002.

Check to be sure you have that EDS installed, then do a full power cycle of the operating system. Maybe delete Harmony.rsh and Harmony.hrc just for kicks.

The .eds file at ab.com is 2.1, not 2.2, which is why I just installed all four to be safe. I deleted both harmony files and rebooted (running XP Pro SP3 in VMWare). Same results. I have an old version of RSNetworx, so I may need to upgrade... :oops:

Thanks again!... :site:

🍻

-Eric

RSNetworx has a handful of different "applets" that it launches when you double-click on a device in the network view to edit its properties.

The most common is good old RSEDS; that's the Parameter Editor that gets all of its information from ordinary EDS files.

FLEX I/O has its own applet, unique to FLEX. POINT I/O might have its own.

And DeviceNet Scanners have an applet. Most scanners use a common set of objects (called the DeviceNet Master Library), to the point where you can set up a Pyramid Solutions standalone network gateway using the same applet as a 1756-DNB.

That's why I'm surprised that the 1769-SDN doesn't seem to be editable from your copy of RSNetworx. Unless it's super-old (like v3), the applet should handle a wide variety of DML-based scanners.

Unless it's super-old (like v3)
Um, it is... :oops:

I don't think I've used RSNetworks in probably 10 years. I installed it in a VM earlier today to investigate this project. If this customer decides they want me to do this, I'll let them buy the latest version.

🍻

-Eric

You can just un-check the Configuration Recovery box to allow changes to be made to the drive, or make the change and re-load the Device Configuration and save the updated values to the 1769-SDN's ADR memory.
Just to follow up, I FINALLY found time to visit this customer yesterday, and this solved it. Thanks!... :site:

🍻

-Eric