PID for Smoker with dual Temp Control & Ethernet

JeremyFXDWG

I am looking to control an electric smoker with a PID controller. Ideally the heating element would need to be controlled to a set cooking temp with one thermocouple and the food would be monitored with another thermocouple and when reaching a desired temperature the PID would reduce and hold the temperature at a certain temp.

So basically it needs to have 2 temperature probes to control one heating element.

I would also like to have the information posted to a webpage or less ideal an email. (I really need the controller to output the data over TCP/IP. I can manipulate it to the webpage).

I saw the Honeywell UDC3200 may do this. It does email and does not appear to publish the data any other way. Any other controllers I should be looking at or is this a feasible task?

Thanks,
JP

It appears you have two different issues, firstly I don't think your system needs to know what temp the heating element is at.

If you set up one loop properly, and the enclosure is small enough to get a fast response the single temp sensor should be able to control the heating element.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
there are sevral options for the user interface. I would look at a small PLC (AB 1100, AD 05, etc) and a GOOD HMI RedLion G3. You coulduse the G3 as your webpage.#Sorry for being short no time to type.

Honga - I agree. I don't care what the heating coil temp is I want to maintain a steady air temp in the smoker. The thermocouple will be mounted in the smoker airspace.

I want to cook at say 225* (air temp) with little temperature swing so I was thinking one loop / thermocouple / PID for that. Then when the food hits a certain temp say 190* (monitored with another thermocouple) I want the air temp to drop to 140* and hold there forever...

I am just not sure weather I need 2 PIDs or one PID with 2 inputs. Both inputs will only control one heating coil in the end.

Jim - Yep.. basically that's what I want.. :).

I was looking at maybe using 2 Newton i6s?

Last edited:
You can use 2 inputs use the first to maintain the air temp at XXX degree. Then use the other to change the PID setpoint on the first at XXX degree . 1 PID nice and easy project.

You need just one PID. You start with the PID setpoint at 225F, then you change the PID setpoint to 140F when the food temperature reaches 190F.

Excellent.. Thanks.

So one PID with 2 inputs that is Ethernet capable. Now I know what to go look for.

This is my first PID project so I appreciate the advice to my elementary questions.

Your PID would run at 225 setpoint
Someting that isn't the PID detects the food temp
if it is higher than 190, change setpoint, if not leave the same.

So 1 PID 1 Input.

If you get a uLogix 1100 you could use Archies Advanced HMI and do whatever you like with the data.

I want to cook at say
225* (air temp) with little temperature swing so I was thinking one loop / thermocouple / PID for that. Then when the food hits a certain temp say
190* (monitored with another thermocouple) I want the air temp to drop to 140* and hold there forever...

If you decide to do this with a Honeywell UDC 3200, get model
DC3200-EE-300R-210-00000-0E00 or
DC3200-EE-300R-110-00000-0E00

That model has two thermocouple inputs, single PID output to an electromechanical relay to drive the heater elements, an alarm relay to trip a digital input to change setpoints, ethernet (I'm not sure what the ethernet is for).

Set the Control group up for 2 local setpoints.
SP 1 is for air temp @ 225°F.
SP 2 is for the food-at-temp-SP2-holds-at-140°F

Input 1 is the air space thermocouple
Input 2 is the food temp thermocouple

Setup the control PID algorithm for time proportional. I'd start with a cycle time of 15 seconds.

Setup an alarm #1
- to monitor input 2 (food temp) as a source (A1S1TYPE)
- to trip on high alarm at 190°F (A1S1VAL)
- to latch

Honeywell quirk - fail safe alarms, use terminals 7 & 8 (labeled NC contacts) to get the action you want.

Wire the alarm output into digital input #1, terminals 10 & 11. The DI requires a sustained contact, hence the latch on alarm #1.

Set up digital input #1's function as "To 2SP".

When the food temp (on input 2) reaches 190°, its alarm will trigger, the DI will go to 2nd SP (to 140°F) from SP1 (at 225°F) and hold there.

The Run/Hold key releases (resets) the latch on the alarm once the food temp on input 2 is below 190°F minus whatever the alarm hysteresis is set at.

Note that the ethernet IP address CAN NOT be set from the UDC keyboard, so negotiate a sale where the vendor pre-programs an IP address for you because the alternative requires PIE software and a serial IR adapter to set the IP address. Why bother?

Jeff- I am beginning to understand... Dan's explanation was beyond excellent

The reason I picked the honeywell originally was that is seemed to have the 2 inputs I needed and Ethernet. The other thing was that it has a display / keyboard all built into one unit. (I didn't even know about HMIs till I was looking around this forum).

Will the Honeywell handle an SSR?

Last edited: