PLC 2 Hard Copy???

Logix

Hi everyone, this is my first question here, and the first thread I'm starting. I hope someone can help.

The project I'm working on is to convert a machine over from a PLC 2 to a SLC 5/04. I'm trying to make a hard copy of an old PLC 2 program. I'm using AI software v6.22 and it only has some very old DOS print drivers in it. I've managed to save the Report as an ASCII file on my hard drive. I've opened it with Microsoft word as a .asc file and it's close, but not right. Does anybody know of a way to print out this ASCII file properly?

If you have a printer attached to your computer (not a network printer) and you have printed the report to a file you can try the following from a command line:

copy filename.ext prn

Alaric... I don't have an older printer is my problem... all the printers available are USB
Steve..The font I'm using is courier new and this is what it looks like...

EDIT... it chopped it up a bit more when I copied it here...It's putting the outputs on the next line and screwing up the text...

¦ WELD/CAR ENCODER ¦
¦ INDEX RAM ACTIVATE ¦

¦ STORE BIT RELAY ¦

¦ 500 012 ¦

1+-----¦ +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------( )----¦ ¦ ¦ 00 ¦ 00 ¦

¦ ¦WELD/RAM ¦ ¦

¦ ¦INDEX CAR ¦ ¦

¦ ¦STORE BIT ¦ ¦

¦ ¦ 500 ¦ ¦

¦ +---¦ +----¦ ¦

¦ ¦ 01 ¦ ¦

¦ ¦WELD/CAR ¦ ¦

¦ ¦INDEX ¦ ¦

¦ ¦RAM UP ¦ ¦

¦ ¦ 500 ¦ ¦

¦ +---¦ +----+ ¦

¦ 05 ¦

¦ WELD ¦

¦WELD/RAM FUNCTION ¦

¦INDEX CAR CONSTANT STORE ¦

¦ 110 402 500 ¦

2+---¦ +-------[G]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------(PUT)---¦ ¦ 01 002 001 ¦

¦500 -

Last edited:
I tried dropping the font size down to 8 and it helped... I think I've got some cross refrences put to the right of the outputs when I did the ASCII file generation... maybe the align character is screwing it up.. I'll have to work on it a little....

Thanks Guys

TRY NOTEPAD. iT WILL BE DIFFERENT, MAYBE OK.
BTW, I WOULD LIKE TO BUY YOUR PLC2 PROGRAMMING SOFTWARE WHEN YOU ARE DONE WITH IT. I HAVE 4 PLC2s BOUGHT AT ON AUCTION, AND I WANT TO USE ONE IN HOME AUTOMATION. AB WONT GIVE ME THE SOFTWARE, EVENTHOUGH THEY NO LONGER SUPPORT IT. IF I CANT GET IT, I THINK I WILL TRY THE ezPLC.

I wound up finding out that our HP 1220C wide carriage printer had a parallel printer port and the drivers in the AI PLC2 software for the HP Laserjet worked with it.

C LAW said:
TRY NOTEPAD. iT WILL BE DIFFERENT, MAYBE OK.
BTW, I WOULD LIKE TO BUY YOUR PLC2 PROGRAMMING SOFTWARE WHEN YOU ARE DONE WITH IT. I HAVE 4 PLC2s BOUGHT AT ON AUCTION, AND I WANT TO USE ONE IN HOME AUTOMATION. AB WONT GIVE ME THE SOFTWARE, EVENTHOUGH THEY NO LONGER SUPPORT IT. IF I CANT GET IT, I THINK I WILL TRY THE ezPLC.

Sorry... we still have 3 or 4 PLC2's in service even after we upgrade this one... We'll still need the software.

I had a similar problem with a different MFG PLC print out. Fortunately, I have an older HP 550 Inkjet at home and work had the ink carts from an old plotter. This oler HP printer has a button to set it for compressed print and the print outs look great. I recently got a network printer here to do the same (HP 4Plus laser), but to do such, I have to send an different print job to the printer then print the reports, then reboot the printer to get rid of that other configuration sent in the first print job. I beleive the procedure I uses was unique to this HP Laser printer though.

I recently converted a PLC2, but went with a spare PLC5 we had laying around. Only hardware change was the PLC2 processor coming out and PLC5 going in. The rest of the hardware was compatible to this PLC5. A local electric supply/control service place rented me an old laptop they had ($100/day)so that I could upload the PLC2. This rented laptop also that the PLC2-PLC5 conversion utility in it, so it was a bit of a snap. I had to put all the commented from an old hard copy print out into the PLC2 uploaded file before converting though. After the conversion, I only had 2 small issues in the program to rework. (The PLC2-PLC5 conversion is not 100% in all cases.)

I Would Use The 2-5 Software That Ab Has Or Had Out

I Have A Copy And Have Had Great Success With It
Than You Coud Easily Change It From 5 To 500
Trick Is In The Conversion The 5 Resides In The Local And In 2 Its Not In The Rack So Before You Covert Make Sure You Designate Where The 5 Reside So Not To Change The Tables
And Or Adresses
Maybe Check Around For A Copy For Sale
Bernie