How to use a PC as an external hard drive for Siemens PLC

dag82

Hi, I want to run a program on my PLC without download it into the PLC. The error message I had is :not enough memory on the memory card. Did anyone know how to use a PC to store the program and be able to run the program with the PLC (not in simulation)?
My PLC is a 314-1AE04-0AB0

(look at the attach pdf for error message)
Thank's

Etienne

You need a either a CPU with more work memory. E.g. 6ES7 314-1AG14-0AB0, or your program needs to be pruned considerably.

There is probably a way to do it, at my job, they use 315 CPU and a computer with a .exe file to command and control the plc.
The program isn't installed in their plc, only in the .exe.

It must be a way to do that. I saw in the hardware config (net pro) that it's possible to add a PC station with the adress 0
Anyone know how it work and if it's possible to save a part of the user program in this station.
Etienne

There is probably a way to do it, at my job, they use 315 CPU and a computer with a .exe file to command and control the plc.
The program isn't installed in their plc, only in the .exe.

It must be a way to do that. I saw in the hardware config (net pro) that it's possible to add a PC station with the adress 0
Anyone know how it work and if it's possible to save a part of the user program in this station.
The "PC station" is not necessary I think. you can make software to communicate with the PLC like a HMI does, like advancedHMI or with the use of libnodave. check out this thread

So what program is the 315 executing then?

I don't really know, I don't have access to the program, only the .exe file.

That's why I would like to know how to do it. All I know for sure, is that they never had to download a new program after they modify it.

Last edited:
I "came across" this sort of functionality once, many years ago, and can't (as of now) remember the name of it.

It was a piece of PC software that downloaded to the PLC the "program" that it needed to run, eg. "CIP Widget Machine", then it could download the next program to run, eg. "Make Widgets", then it would download the next program to run etc. etc.

So you could use a "small" PLC to do "large" applications.

Feedback I got from the guys who worked on the project - PITA !

IMHO it was a neat, workable idea, but turned out to be expensive in terms of software design/debugging time. I'm guessing the hardware cost of faster and larger (more memory) PLCs put this concept onto the back burner.....

Run PLC program from a PC

If you have any program example of that type of application, I would like to try it and see how to do it