can you run studio 5000 on an external drive? question on storage.

Bigtime

I have a few questions about Studio5000. 1. Why is my RA folder so big? its well over 100 GB. 2. How do you delete versions or extra files? 3. can I run studio 5000 or save the versions on an external hard drive? 4. if I were to download the version package from 21-36 how big would that be? and also where do I find that?

There will be no problem running Studio5000 from an external drive, however that drive will ALWAYS have to be plugged in when the computer is booted up.

Even when you aren't running Studio500 there are quite a few background programs that boot with Windows and if the drive isn't there might cause crashing or relentless popups.

FactoryTalk, RSLinx service, Codemeter, etc.

I just checked TaskManager and there are 8 separate FactoryTalk components running on my PC now. 3 Codemeter components,19 Rockwell components and 2 RSLinx's

There will be no problem running Studio5000 from an external drive, however that drive will ALWAYS have to be plugged in when the computer is booted up.

Even when you aren't running Studio500 there are quite a few background programs that boot with Windows and if the drive isn't there might cause crashing or relentless popups.

FactoryTalk, RSLinx service, Codemeter, etc.

I just checked TaskManager and there are 8 separate FactoryTalk components running on my PC now. 3 Codemeter components,19 Rockwell components and 2 RSLinx's
good point. I didn't think about that.

I would highly suggest virtual machines. I have about a dozen or more VMs with different Rockwell versions, FTSE versions, from XP images to Win 10. My laptop OS is clean as a whistle. The VMs can be run completely from external drives, USB, etc. I have my main VMs on my laptop SSD, but another 10 or so on an internal spinner drive, and others stored on an external drive.