Studio 5000 PID External/Remote Setpoint

Hi All,

I'm using Studio 5000 ver 30 to modify existing logic that has PID, and I want to be able to use an external/remote source as a setpoint when, for example, mode 'X' is enabled.

I understand that this is possible using Cascade mode, but existing logic is using PID instead of Enhanced PIDE, so the modes and states are more limited. The few differences might be from the Modes selection, PID's mode options are:Auto, Software Manual, and Manual, for Enhanced PIDE have program/operator control, cascade/ratio, auto, manual, override, hand.
It will change almost the entire system if I were to use PIDE.

Is there anyway I can still use the regular PID and get to a 'Cascade'-like state to achieve having external remote source as setpoint whilst still having the PID be able to automatically regulate its output as in Auto mode?

Any examples of a similar project are vey much welcome!:nodi:

See item (ii) in my signature at the bottom of this post.

Create new tags: analog tags final_setpoint, external_setpoint, internal_setpoint; Boolean tag mode_X

Whatever (HMI?) is writing the current PID setpoint should be changed to write the internal_setpoint tag.

Put final_setpoint tag on the setpoint pin of the PID instruction.

Code:
bst xic mode_X mov external_setpoint final_setpoint
nxb xio mode_X mov internal_setpoint final_setpoint
bnd

See item (ii) in my signature at the bottom of this post.

Create new tags: analog tags final_setpoint, external_setpoint, internal_setpoint; Boolean tag mode_X

Whatever (HMI?) is writing the current PID setpoint should be changed to write the internal_setpoint tag.

Put final_setpoint tag on the setpoint pin of the PID instruction.

Code:
bst xic mode_X mov external_setpoint final_setpoint
nxb xio mode_X mov internal_setpoint final_setpoint
bnd

Hi Drbitboy,

More details about the existing system, the variables has Auto/PID mode and Manual/Operator HMI mode. I'm supposed to add one more mode to support another external remote setpoint from different server, which we can call Manipulated Variable/RSP/Cascade Mode. Is there any way for bumpless transfer between these three modes to happen while using regular PID?

Hi Drbitboy,

More details about the existing system, the variables has Auto/PID mode and Manual/Operator HMI mode. I'm supposed to add one more mode to support another external remote setpoint from different server, which we can call Manipulated Variable/RSP/Cascade Mode. Is there any way for bumpless transfer between these three modes to happen while using regular PID?
Also my confusion is more on the modes, in which PID's options are .SWM and .MO, how can we use these modes to support the mentioned Manipulated Variable when Mode X is on? How does ProgManualReq/Cascade translate in regular PID?