PLC-5 to Logix L71 Conversion error

phuz

Trying to convert a PLC-5 to Logix and all is great until it creates the L5k and Studio 5000 won't open it, saying it is not a valid project file.

The PLC-5 has two remote racks and includes a VHSC module. I've never run into this in all the PLC-5 projects I've converted. Unfortunately the error is not very detailed.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
So this does not work. Unfortunately the table only goes up to v28, and I am on v29, but you can extrapolate that to be Import/Export version 2.20, so I tried that. Same error.

Why don't you convert the PLC5 file to a previous RSLogix version? Then you can open the RSLogix project on a superior version and upgrade it.

Ooops, @OkiePC write faster than me.

That's exactly what I had done. I loaded it into my XP VM with Logix v20, and it was fine. The IE_VER still said 2.6, which according to that table should have been 2.11. I went into the l5k file and changed it to every version and get the same error. This is the version that was installed when I installed Studio v29, so I don't know what exactly is going on. I'd prefer to have it work the proper way because the older versions truncate some of the text, and this is not ideal.

That's exactly what I had done. I loaded it into my XP VM with Logix v20, and it was fine.
So you got an .acd file, version 20. Did you try opening the file and looking for any error? I suppose if you have any error, Studio 5000 v29 won't be able to open the file and upgrade it.

Are you using RSLogix 20.01, 20.03 or 20.04?

No the converter gives you an l5k for import. I'm using 20.04 on the xp machine and 29 on the host. I can open the l5k in 20.04 but not otherwise.

Yes, you can open the l5k file on RSLogix and save it as acd (that's the way to get the acd file). Then open the acd file on Studio.

That's exactly what I had done. I loaded it into my XP VM with Logix v20, and it was fine. The IE_VER still said 2.6, which according to that table should have been 2.11. I went into the l5k file and changed it to every version and get the same error. This is the version that was installed when I installed Studio v29, so I don't know what exactly is going on. I'd prefer to have it work the proper way because the older versions truncate some of the text, and this is not ideal.

You don't need to mess about with the IE_VER in the L5K file.

Once you have the V20 .ACD loaded into Logix5000, simply goto the Controller Properties, and there is a button on the "General" tab to "Change Controller". Use that and choose V29 from the drop-down list. The V20 project will be retained, and renamed, indicating that is is V20. The conversion to V29 will look like its not doing anything for a while, but eventually the software will switch into Studio5000 V29, and open the .ACD

Well, that's the theory anyway.

Of course you will need to do this on a machine with both V20 and V29 installed.

:D

Yup. But I think you're missing the point. The older utility truncates text so ideally you want to use the new utility, which is not working. Using the old utility and converting the Fw version is cake but cuts off the text. CSV vs. AB6200 txt