PLC-500 ICOM Software & SLC-500 plc

listerdiesel

We are using some old DOS software with an AB SLC-500 plc.

The software enables us to upload/download the programme, but we don't see how we can get access to any of the programme (program) ladders. Tried all the possible functions, but other than the first ladder, nothing else shows up. We can cursor up and down and there are lots of things that we can do, but only apparently on the first ladder page.

We have taken this over from a retired guy who doesn't want to get involved, and we also have RSLogix500 in Windows with which we can look at ALL the programme, ladders, variable etc etc but it will not communicate with the PCMK card that we use in DOS with the Icom programme.

Tried to get RSLinx installed but it keeps falling over, so we cannot configure the comms side of RSLogix500.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Peter

What is the exact CPU type ?

For RSLogix 500 and the Windows PC, exactly what version of Windows ?
For the PCMK card, I think you must have a PC with Windows XP, or an even earlier Windows. And the PC must support 16-bit PCMCIA cards.

Thanks, Jesper:

Pentium II in an IBM Thinkpad running Win2KPro.

The PCMK card is fine in DOS and recognised in Device Manager in Windows, but not able to get it to show up in System Communications in RSLogix500.

Peter

For RSLinx to be able to find the PCMK card, you have to install a driver that is on the RSLinx installation CD (or RSLogix installation CD). The driver isnt installed automatically with the RSLinx software.

You must be able to see the PCMK properly recognized in the Windows Control Panel Device Manager. There must be no yellow question mark for example.

edit: If you are saying that it runs fine on the same PC with Icom in a DOS box, then I am not sure what is wrong.

1747-40C means you cant just get a serial cable. You need the PCMK or a PIC.

What version is your RSLinx ?

Maybe someone familiar with ICOM or A.I. knows if there is a secret handshake to get it to work.

The RSLinx is 2.42 by memory.

We use the SLC500 as it is a known quantity for the few of these units that we build.

It is a battery discharge tester for rail batteries, 110V 115AH, two channels at once.

Peter

Thanks, Mickey:

At present, RSLogix500 runs OK, but no comm's.

We have tried two versions of RSLinx and both crash with the usual Windows error message box, so we haven't got to that configuration stage yet.

If we run RSLogix500 as a standalone item, it is fine until we try to view the comm's, when it appears to activate RSLinx which then crashes both programmes.

The first RSLinx attempt got the picture page up then it crashed, the second one didn't get that far even.

It is a bit frustrating and I do appreciate the input you guys are giving, it is a help and does ease the pain a bit.

Does RSLinx need an activation in the same way as RSLogix500?

Peter

Maybe there is a faulted driver configuration causing a shutdown.
If so start up linx to see, if one is faulted select it and click on the
Startup and select manual, then close linx. Then start linx back up
Then delete the faulted driver. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Caveman:

We cannot get either version of RSLinx to run past the opening page on one, and nothing on the other.

We have re-installed both versions twice.

Although we did download 1784PCMX drivers from Rockwell, Windows preferred to use a 2002 dated driver which was also Rockwell.

Peter