PLC and moving data to a webserver

Hello all,

I work with internet of things and am not a PLC expert at all - that's why I need your help.

I have a customer who's running a mix of PLCs to run a range of cooling machines. Each run a very similar program. They use 2-3 datapoints from the cooling machinery and a 4-20 mA input. The client now wishes to move this data out of the PLCs and into a web environment for data analysis.

1. How can this be done across different PLCs (Beckhoff, Siemens)?
2. Is there something like a " software agent" I can put on any PLC which can then extract the data already being retrieved for the program and forward it to a webserver?
3. We also need to extract a few additional datapoints beyond what will be used in the program. Is this possible without messing with the program?
4. Can this be done from the "software agent" I imagine to exist?

Thanks a lot for any help you can offer.

Go :site:!

Hello goingnovation,

I know it is a little bit late, but if you are still looking for a solution, have a look at AnyViz. It is a cloud portal for controlling PLCs remotely. There is a free cloud adapter for Beckhoff PLCs and CODESYS PLCs.

Regards

Thomas

Crimson / G3 is by far the best device for collecting data or interfacing to a variety of PLCs.
All drivers are included in the purchase price. No need to buy OPC server for each PLC family. It is dedicated hardware, Not a PC, not subject to virus or malware. It can passively read existing data; no need to modify PLC code unless you want to add triggers, etc.
It can handle several different communication types at once. Built-in ethernet (servicing multiple ports), RS-232, RS485. You can buy the hardware to interface with profibus and all sorts of other protocols.

It can serve as a protocol converter / data collector. The HMI is excellent and flexible. Available in many sizes. There's even one with video port for a large screen plant display.

Obviously, it is my weapon of choice.