Plc comms

showshocka

How is it that I was successful in adding a downstream PLC controller to my upstream PLC Ethernet devices (no errors, I can see the downstream controller's info in properties / "Module info" tab) but when I go to set the downstream PLC up for MSG I do not see it listed? In my upstream PLC in the General tab of the downstream PLC listed, it has the local Ethernet address (xx.xx.xx.xx) the network all the building's PLCs talk on, and in the Internet protocol tab it says the downstream PLC "IP Address in physical module does not match address in general properties (192.168.1.20). Let me remind you all, this upstream PLC also has a physical address that is different from the general tab and other PLCs on the building's network are talking to it ans sees this and it's listed in their MSG instructions. How is it I am not seeing this downstream PLC when I try to set up for MSG when I can see all the info on it in my connected Ethernet devices? Thank you.

Internet Protocal Tab IP addresses.png

How is it that I was successful in adding a downstream PLC controller to my upstream PLC Ethernet devices (no errors, I can see the downstream controller's info in properties / "Module info" tab) but when I go to set the downstream PLC up for MSG I do not see it listed? In my upstream PLC in the General tab of the downstream PLC listed, it has the local Ethernet address (xx.xx.xx.xx) the network all the building's PLCs talk on, and in the Internet protocol tab it says the downstream PLC "IP Address in physical module does not match address in general properties (192.168.1.20). Let me remind you all, this upstream PLC also has a physical address that is different from the general tab and other PLCs on the building's network are talking to it ans sees this and it's listed in their MSG instructions. How is it I am not seeing this downstream PLC when I try to set up for MSG when I can see all the info on it in my connected Ethernet devices? Thank you.

What PLCs are you using? Are you sure you are referencing the actually controller slot on the CIP path and not the Ethernet/IP card itself>>?

I think it would help if you took a step back and oriented us to the "stream" direction and describe the controllers (and their Ethernet modules) in more detail.

A screenshot of the I/O tree in the "upstream" PLC will be informative too. Annotate or provide details as necessary.

I think it would help if you took a step back and oriented us to the "stream" direction and describe the controllers (and their Ethernet modules) in more detail.

Yes. I am using a producer / Consumer (upstream and down) between a 1769 CompactLogix™ 5370 using 20.13 firmware but will be upgrading today to V32. The other is a 1756-L82E ControlLogix 5580 Controller firmware V32. I have it set perfect as producer / consumer in either PLC, each looking back to the other one's out base tag to consume. I have Dbl and triple checked all my I/O Tags and still flashing green I/O light with no comms.Data Pro_Con 2PLC.jpg

A B Comms Pro_Con.jpg

Update.

I have upgraded the 1769 firmware to Version32. The controllers are now Both version32 and the same no-comms.

I O Faulted Both Controllers.JPG

Last edited:
If you are only consuming tags then you can set rack optimization to 'none'.
This can be changed under module definitions 'edit' button under the general properties tabs for the communications controllers.

If you are only consuming tags then you can set rack optimization to 'none'.
This can be changed under module definitions 'edit' button under the general properties tabs for the communications controllers.

The upstream 1756 does not have that "none" option in Chassis under the general tab. The downstream 1769 done, and is selected as "none". I also Selected "Allow consumed tags to use RPI..." under the Advance controller's tab, on both controllers. Still nothing.

What PLCs are you using? Are you sure you are referencing the actually controller slot on the CIP path and not the Ethernet/IP card itself>>?
I created two data arrays in each project and for the base tag had each consumer array tag look back over ethernet at the producer type array tag in each others project.

I get it that you're blanking out proprietary information, but you're probably also blanking out important information. It would also be helpful to label devices with IP addresses as well as calling them "controller A" and "controller B".

I think the 1756-L82E is the "upstream" controller. Is that correct ?

The 1756-L82E and the 1769-L33ER both have only one Ethernet port built into the controller. But I think you have described the "upstream" controller as being connected both to the inter-PLC network and an enterprise network, so there must be a router or another 1756-ENxT module in the chassis.

Is 192.168.1.x the "network all the building's PLCs talk on" ? That's the network you want to use for Produced/Consumed connections between these devices, right ?

I agree that both controllers should have the other controller in the available targets for a MSG connection, but the conflict between physical and logical configurations is still stumping me.

It would also be helpful to label devices with IP addresses as well as calling them "controller A" and "controller B".

The 1756-L82E and the 1769-L33ER both have only one Ethernet port built into the controller. But I think you have described the "upstream" controller as being connected both to the inter-PLC network and an enterprise network, so there must be a router or another 1756-ENxT module in the chassis.

Is 192.168.1.x the "network all the building's PLCs talk on" ? That's the network you want to use for Produced/Consumed connections between these devices, right ?

No. Both controllers have a physical controllers address which are deferent, but do not affect how they communicate with all other devices in the building's IP network, of xxx.xxx.xx.x. The 2 PLCs see one another and are not errored in the Ethernet devices.

I think the 1756-L82E is the "upstream" controller. Is that correct ?
YES

Ok Ken and thank you for your feedback on this. Homing in on this more, Correct, The Upstream 1756 PLC IP is xxx.xxx.xx.50 and the downstream 1769 is xxx.xxx.x.60 and it's physical address as 192.168.1.x, not the address Both communicate on, on the building's Public IP address who's network is xxx.xxx.xx... The PLC here with the (2)1756-L82E shown only is using one controller, the other is a spare and there is no EN2T card installed in the rack1756 Upstream PLC.jpg

I but the conflict between physical and logical configurations is still stumping me.

I deleted both comms and tried it again, and they took! I was then able to create a user defined - producer / consumer, a [DINT] user defined producer / consumer comms and a [MSG] meassage comms connection. I have them both running. Thank all of you for helping me think this one out.