PLC help for Click C0-01AR-D PLC

Glenn,

No, those are important things to know, but I have found here that people get pi$$ed off if they ask about ONE subject, but then get dozens of answers about everything EXCEPT that subject. If you can figure out WHAT the subject IS, then it is usually best to limit your answers to that subject until the questioner is satisfied, or asks about something else.

Besides, we do not know the situation. It may be that Alp is not doing the wiring, or is not responsible for the E-stops, or that it is a student project and they have not covered that subject in class - yet!

I am just a maintenance mech that is trying to figure out PLC's. This was supposed to be a site for learning. I was really wrong about the site.
It is, but we are just slow to get started work. We first need to know that we are not wasting our time, as well as yours. It does take time and effort to figure out a program, even a simple one. I will write a few rungs for you and post them. Then you can tell me whether you think this is the right approach, before I spend a lot of time going down the wrong road!

Last edited:
Glenn,

I hope I'm not interfering with the learning process. I'm trying to define the process with more accuracy.

My version of operations is a little different than yours, it organizes the processes into more steps than your description. If this is not how your process works disregard my effort, or make it clear what does need to happen.

1. At rest with the power on or off, the air cylinder must lock the lid closed.

2. Purge; Operator presses the amber purge push button. If the lid prox closed is made and the stop button input is on the amber purge indicator will light, note: when the "red lid open" light is on the amber purge indicator will turn off. Note: if the control power input is not made (a liberty I took to make the process correct in my mind) the purge cycle will stop and the machine will go to step 1 (at rest). If the lid closed input opens before the lid lock cylinder is actuated the machine will go to step 1 (at rest)

2a. Purge w/nitrogen. A timer starts at the beginning of the purge cycle that opens the nitrogen valve for 12 seconds.

2b. Purge w/scrubber. The same timer from 2a continues to time, and as the time elapses from 2 seconds to 14 seconds the scrubber valve opens.

2c. Purge w/lid open. The same timer from 2a continues to time, at 16 seconds the timer will acutate the lid lock cylinder to the "open" position. The lid lock cylinder will remain in the "open" position until further notice. I have taken the liberty of making this valve a bistable control valve. The red indicator will turn on when the lid closed limit is not made.

3. Charge; Operator closes lid, (note: the red lid open light will turn off when the lid closed limit switch and the lid close cylinder prox are made, another liberty I took) and he presses the green lighted pushbutton "charge solids", the lid lock cylinder close is activated.

3a. If the lid closed limit switch and the lid lock cylinder prox and the control power input and the green lighted push button are made then the green charge indicator will light. The green indicator will remain lit as long as the lid closed and cylinder prox and control power input are made.

3b. If the green light is on (see conditions above) then a timer starts and the nitrogen sol valve opens again (see 2a) close the nitrogen valve at 32 seconds

3c. After two seconds the scrubber valve opens, close the scrubber valve at 34 seconds.

3d. At 12 seconds open the vibrator valve, close the valve at 32 seconds.

3e. At 12 seconds open the dump valve, close the valve at 34 seconds.

3f. At 34 seconds activate the lid lock cyinder "open" to open the lid. note at this point the cylinder prox will not be made and the green inicator will turn off.

At this point your description does not make sense to me.

(Operator can now open lid to Inspect or Add more Charges if needed), Once Lid Limit Switch is made go to IDLE Stage.

6. STOP OPERATIONS: Red Pushbutton with 1 set of NO contacts to stop all operations when pushed so all valves will close, If Hopper Lid LS is made SV Air lock will remain engaged, Timer 30 seconds, after Timer DN, turn On Red PL (Unlock Dome) and Disengage Lid SV Air Cylinder (To Allow For Inspection), Start Timer 5 minutes, after Timer DN or once lid Limit Switch Is made Engage Lid SV Air Cylinder, go to IDLE STAGE.

Questions; Does he press the green button at this point to recycle the machine? Also perhaps a better name for your stop button is a "halt process" What do you want to happen after the stop button (or halt) is pressed if there is a power interruption at this point?

Last edited:
Here is a picture (attached) for the first rung for Step 1: IDLE, with an outline where you can fill in the other steps. For Step 1, add logic to turn on any outputs that should be ON at this time. Also add logic to turn off any outputs that should be OFF at this time. Then the last rung of Step 1 should enable Step 2, and disable Step 1. All other Steps are then done the same way, easy as pie.
'

POWDER TRANSFER.jpg

Last edited:
no response yet ?

Lancie1; I have been checking this thread to see what the response was to your help. Previous posts suggested the expectation was that the code would be written and gift wrapped vs. help with writing the code.

Yes, most of the time, students do not report on the success or failure of their projects. They are already looking at the next problem.

I should have just went ahead and posted the whole thing (instead of an outline) for future students. The deadline for this student project has long passed, and he either got some help from someone else, or managed to figure it out for himself.

Lancie1; I'm referring to the 2nd thread about using a Click to run some kind of a batching process - I think he claimed to be a maintenance mechanic.

Glenn,

I imagine that he is a maintenance mechanic taking a PLC course in an attempt to move to a higher level. Over the years on this site, I have seen many like that. A real working programmer will not ask questions about basic instructions, but a guy trying to become a programmer will.

Usually if it is a guy working on a real programming job problem, the questions will be sort of vague with poor descriptions. Here we have a complete description which is rare to get in the real world (unless you write it yourself) even under the best working conditions. This is the type of problem that is handed out in PLC courses. A working man would be replying back with more questions and attempts at solutions.

On the other hand, many students become sullen, angry, and withdraw when the problem is not immediately solved. It takes students (even working students) a while to find out that PLC programming is not a matter of rolling out a cut-and-dried canned solution to every possible problem.

Last edited: