PLC, PC and networks in DCS with SCADA

student_sean

Hello i am seeking help on a University assignment.
The Task Reads,

Choose one of the topologies
- Star
- Tree
- BUS
- Ring
- Mesh
and show how PLC, PC and networks are utilised in DCS with SCADA.

You may inform me otherwise but i am thinking they are set up in a ring network?

Any information, (as small or big) you can provide is much appreciated..

My understanding of your question (or at least the little bit of it that you've shared with us) is to show HOW a particular topology might be used. So:

1) Why do you think a ring topology is used?
2) What led you to your statement "... I am thinking they are set up in a ring network"?
3) Why didn't you pick one of the other topologies?
4) How do you think a ring topology is used?
5) Could one or more of the other topologies, or even some combination of them, be used? (What is your understanding of the other topologies?)

Apologies for the vagueness of the question.
Unfortunately i cannot share anymore with you as this is the entire question.
The reason i had mentioned the 'ring network' was simply because i had stumbled across an example with ring as the chosen topolgy, and hoped that someone in the know could possibly confirm this, so i could proceed down that path.
If you can recommend which topology would work best, it would be a great help. I am rather un-experienced in this area.
thanks

the questions aim clearly is:

you to study all topologies, what you can do with them etc. Then choose one topology and represent how that topology is used.

So no, it would not be right for us to pick topology for you.

The Task Reads,

- Star
- Tree
- BUS
- Ring
- Mesh

You may inform me otherwise but i am thinking they are set up in a ring network?

Any information, (as small or big) you can provide is much appreciated..

All you ever needed to know about network topologies and more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_topology

Turbo i appreciate ur concern for my education, and i would care to indicate that i was simply looking for someone experienced in this area to pass on helpful information which i am yet to obtain, as i am new to this line of work.
Thanks again x

The way I read the question is that they want you to select any one of the 5 choices then show how the PLCs etc. are connected together to form a DCS or SCADA network in that topology.

Hint (since you haven't picked up on it yet...):

The hardware you select will play an important part in the network topology. Different hardwares connect in different ways. Then, when you get into the integration of the whole system together, you're most likely going to involve yet other topologies.

Then, the grand moral of the story is: we're not going to do your homework for you. We'll help -- show us what you have, give us your ideas, do your part first. Then ask specific questions showing your initial efforts. Then we can (and will gladly!) help.

This question is obviously relating to what you've been studying in class. Questions like this are never introduced in a classroom setting without previous discussion and material. What has already been discussed? What examples have been given?

The Task Reads,

- Star
- Tree
- BUS
- Ring
- Mesh

Any information, (as small or big) you can provide is much appreciated..Thanks :confused:

This question is somewhat like pick a parallel load circuit or a series load circuit. Describe how it is used where used why and what are advantages and disadvantages.

You seem to like ring so
Describe to us what a ring configuration is disadvantages ahd advantages, where used, why used, main design considerations etc.

BONUS POINTS compare to other systems with above criteria. Nobody spoon fed me in school I busted my butt for my grades and what I learned I learned well. Still remember most of it and may need to derust the rest from lack of use.

Dan Bentler USNAVEMA, USNAVNUCPWRSCHL, AA, BS, MS
howzat for alphabet soup?

The last part of the question seems pretty bogus to me, but I agree with everyone on the intent. My big gripe, besides the obvious "shotgun" nature of the question, is that the transport should be chosen independently of the higher layers by design. The requirements may come from the same base, but that's the extent of it. The question strikes me a bit like asking how your choice of concrete slab affects how the tile and wallpaper match. In any event, choose a topology, describe how nodes connect on it, discuss strengths and weaknesses (cost, redundancy, expandability) and you should be fine.

How long were you in the Navy, Dan?

(y) Ozeey - are you familiar with sarcasm ? good, u wer great help!🤾
(y) Leitiffy - congratulations you worked hard, and im sure you have achieved many great things in life. look your on PLCtalk.com sharing your great knowledge of PLC :rolleyes: , although i really dont think anyone came online to hear about you gettin ur butt busted, thats just wrong!
x

Why are you all being soo assy, sean send me your email adress and i'll happily do it for you man, dont let these de-generates get you down.... I'm waaaaayyy smarter than them.

Nate -- was in for six. Nuc power training was on submarine for 4 years as electrician Barb SSN 596.

Sean I am glad that Judge is willing to do your homework for you. Yeah you will probably pass the course but when you need it 10 years down the road you will not remember anything about it.

Dan Bentler

leitmotif - U really expect anyone to remember off the top of their head something they learnt 10 years ago :s
The majority of what we are learning is not needed at work anyway. Its simply shownig an employer that we are able to aquire skills. get the qualifications and then inherit experience over time...
...i was never asking anyone to 'do my homework' for me, only hoping to speak to someone who has had the chance to inherit the experience i have not.