PLC program language's

peoplehouse

Hello and please excuse my ignorance with this question. I have only used ladder logic but I was asked what other forms of programming can be used with controllers. I've only heard of structured text and not familiar with it at all. I thought that I've seen a few threads on this forum that some programmers use C or C++, again way over my head.
We are using PLC/5 and I am just curious.
Thank you,
Jeff

let's assume for the time being that we're dealing with Allen-Bradley ...

with ControlLogix the options are:

Relay Ladder Logic ...
Structured Text ...
Function Block Diagram ...
Sequential Function Charts ...

with the AB PLC-5 platform, the options are:

Relay Ladder Logic ...
Structured Text ...
Sequential Function Charts ...

tell us which ones you're most interested in and we'll suggest some reference materials for you ...

Reading material.... click on the links in the quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programmable_logic_controller

PLC programs are typically written in a special application on a personal computer, then downloaded by a direct-connection cable or over a network to the PLC. The program is stored in the PLC either in battery-backed-up RAM or some other non-volatile flash memory. Often, a single PLC can be programmed to replace thousands of relays.
Under the IEC 61131-3 standard, PLCs can be programmed using standards-based programming languages. A graphical programming notation called Sequential Function Charts is available on certain programmable controllers. Initially most PLCs utilized Ladder Logic Diagram Programming, a model which emulated electromechanical control panel devices (such as the contact and coils of relays) which PLCs replaced. This model remains common today.
IEC 61131-3 currently defines five programming languages for programmable control systems: FBD (Function block diagram), LD (Ladder diagram), ST (Structured text, similar to the Pascal programming language), IL (Instruction list, similar to assembly language) and SFC (Sequential function chart). These techniques emphasize logical organization of operations.
While the fundamental concepts of PLC programming are common to all manufacturers, differences in I/O addressing, memory organization and instruction sets mean that PLC programs are never perfectly interchangeable between different makers. Even within the same product line of a single manufacturer, different models may not be directly compatible.

Thank you for the replies and links. I think structured text is the answer that I was looking for. I don't really know B or VB code but structured text seems to resemble it. Would that be correct or am I way off?
Thank you again
Jeff

HI Jeff,

If you get a chance to learn it, do it... its a very fast way of programming and once you learn it its very powerful

A lot of controllers (Siemens, Red Lion, AB RSView) offer this as a programming option, so you can use it with your other such as ladder, there are somethings that would be hard to do in ladder and ST makes it easy... VB or VBA is something that is used more in development of programs (HMI's) again very powerful but takes sometime to learn