PLC & Touch Panel (all in one) - Suggestion

naturephoenix

Hi! I would like to order PLC & touch panel all in one device.
Not sure which manufacturer. Was thinking from BACKOFF or ABB, maybe Siemens too.
Main problem with Siemens and ABB is price. Also support is important to me to make final decision, and of course communications with PLC. With Siemens for every kind of connection (MODBUS TCP...) I need to buy some aditional modules...
I want to ask you for some advice which equipment you used(which manufacturer and which model of PLC Touchmanel device)

I would use Red Lion Graphite if I had to do this. The main reason I would not want to do this is that it would in most cases mean a lot of wiring added to a panel door.

We recently released our 7" version of our Touchscreen controller. There is a built in Ethernet port for Modbus TCP communication as well as an RS-485 port for Modbus RTU communication. The design software is free and includes the ability to create ladder or C based programs for controlling your application.

thumb.php

http://www.icpdas-usa.com/tpd_703.html

We also have 2.8" and 4.3" versions if you want a smaller Touchscreen

What I don't like about PLC+HMI combos is the software. Either the PLC or the HMI editors are terrible. So be ready to sacrifice one or the other.

Unitronics and Horner APG are the most popular of the PLC+HMI combos.
Idec might also be a good small choice
http://www.idec.com/caen/products/Catalogs/PLC-HMI/PLC-HMI.html

Do you need wired I/O? If yes, start there and make sure you can get the right I/O modules or comms first.

What I don't like about HMI+PLC combos is PLCs last for years longer than the HMI.
So when your HMI dies....your PLC is now gone also.

+1 to what NetNathan says. I have had a few customers that wanted combo's replaced with a separate PLC & HMI setup.

What I don't like about HMI+PLC combos is PLCs last for years longer than the HMI.
So when your HMI dies....your PLC is now gone also.
True but the combo units are often so much cheaper than a separate HMI + PLC that its like getting a free PLC with your HMI- at least thats how I look at it. So not really a loss in either reliability or cost.

The new Beijer combo's look pretty good. I understand they use separate packages for programming (iX and CodeSYS).

I have used UNITRONICS in the past. I didn't like the engineering software and we have many that died over the years. They offer very good support however and it was fairly simple to set up things like SMS commands.

We recently released our 7" version of our Touchscreen controller. There is a built in Ethernet port for Modbus TCP communication as well as an RS-485 port for Modbus RTU communication. The design software is free and includes the ability to create ladder or C based programs for controlling your application.

thumb.php

http://www.icpdas-usa.com/tpd_703.html

We also have 2.8" and 4.3" versions if you want a smaller Touchscreen

wow, seems too good to be true.

this might be exactly what I am looking for.

does it do email. the ssl non port 25 type?