PLC Virus

TimothyMoulder said:
Now, I hold up AB for one other reason - I think they are aware of this. Every release of FactoryTalk has gone overboard pushing it's integrated security, so they must be conscious they are themselves creating this widespread risk.
I think Factory Talk security protects from unathorized program modifications and blocks access from some workstations. It does nothing to protect against viruses

i think the definition of virus is 'self-spreading piece of software' ... every machine equipped by cpu and communication (mobile or plc) can be attacked by DOS via some kind of Exploit (even with deadly results), but can you imagine to write code in STEP7 using LAD that will copy itself into MMC card via profibus-dp into S7-317 next room? that's luckily very improbable ...

I think Factory Talk security protects from unathorized program modifications and blocks access from some workstations. It does nothing to protect against viruses

How else are you going to protect against a virus until it exists?

Last edited:
If it was a disgruntled employee, they would more likely to just ruin the PLC program, or plant a bit of code that would execute after they'd left etc etc.

Disgruntled employee can do a lot better than that. Imagine a large manufacturing Company with many plants.
Each plant with many PLC's. You could put a piece of badly behaved code in few PLC's scattered across many plants.
This code would send disruptive messages to PLC's in other plants. It would do that based on time and randomly generated time offset, in other words it would appear to be random.
Also it would not target the same PLC all the time.

It would modify a data table in a target PLC for a short amount of time and then restore it back. Meanwhile there would be hick-ups in production. You could design a scheme where this scenario would get triggered many years after the employee left the Company. Replacing the ladder code would not help since

a. You would not know which PLC to look at
and
b. The piece of code that would cause all this would have been
part of the backed-up code as well.

The only thing you could do to deal with this type of scenario would be to examine all ladder code in all PLC's throughout the Corporation. That ofcourse would require huge effort.

I worked at a place where an employee who was leaving wrote a time triggered piece of malware intended to activate a bogus alarm at 2:00am a couple of months later to have the operators page me. He thought it would be a funny practical joke. He put it in several controllers, all triggered to go on different dates. The only problem is he didn't test his code and it faulted the processor.

So I did get paged and actually had to come in and remove the malware.

Managment was not happy when they inquired about the cause of the problem. I spent the day searching for similar code in all of our controllers and found it in some of the other controllers. A couple of days later I was grilled by a company lawyer. I don't know why they didn't eventually file a suit against the ex-employee, but it was considered. Something to consider for anyone who is tempted to pull a similar stunt.

Contr_Conn said:

FactoryTalk is not my favorite thing in the world. But, I could do a lot of damage with or without it.

With an OPC server and an excel spreadsheet, I know that I could make a big mess. The descriptive tag names in CLX make it easier to decide which elements I might want to target if I wanted to cause harm.

It's actually kind of scary that PLCs respond to data requests from any device that asks. Perhaps there should be some user authentication in PLC processors.

Honestly, the threat of a virus on a PLC is currently zero. Sabotage, perhaps.

But even the threat isn't the issue. If you have your PLC's and other control devices sitting on a public network, well, you deserve anything you get. It isn't that hard to configure a router, if you absolutely positively MUST publish information.

Or to use a multi-homed PC as a gateway.

My two cents...

1) I agree that implementing a virus on a PLC isn't easy for most.
2) A virus is for sabotage.
3) A disgruntled employee will take the path of least resistance when commiting sabotage.

Therefore, a disgruntled employee will do something easy to commit and easy to hide. You can imagine what...cut wire, loosening wire, damage stock inventory of spare parts, etc.

This seems like it would be a pretty special case virus.

There aren't that many PLC's just hanging out on the internet. Most are hidden behind a company firewall, so they'd have to be specifically targetted by someone with intricate knowledge. Plus the virus writer would need access to PLCs before hand and there are so many different types.

So I doubt this would be a prolific virus knocking out plants left and right.

I don't think that they're talking about a virus in the link I gave ... I think that the point was that Internet connections might make it possible for a PLC-knowledgeable hacker to find an unprotected PLC - and then to just mess things up ...

Bear in mind that this is a Windows exploit that was being used on a system using Siemen's software. It really would be unfair to label this a Siemen's problem.

This exploit dates back to Windows 2000 and possibly Windows NT.

OG

Okay, I have to ask.......anyone heard of any virus, worm, mal-ware of any sort that propagates over a control network (primarily Ethernet) and targets PLC processors/memory? With the exponential progression of Ethernet into control systems, I have to ask. I have not heard of any.

The following link is from the Wall street Journal, titled: "Virus Attacks Siemens Plant-Control Systems":

http://online.wsj.com/article/NA_WSJ_PUB:SB10001424052748703954804575381372165249074.html

If you are unable to read the entire article, search for the quoted title.

-mdl