PLC WallClockTime Wrong

alanze

I am using the GSV bit to retrieve the PLC time, but it says the year is 1970. I haven't been able to find anyway to change the PLC's clock. I'm sure there is some way to do it, but I can't figure it out.

Enter the current date and time in a new date/time tag on the HMI and when a button is pressed use a SSV to move them to the clock

I am using the GSV bit to retrieve the PLC time, but it says the year is 1970. I haven't been able to find anyway to change the PLC's clock. I'm sure there is some way to do it, but I can't figure it out.

You can set the clock using RSLogix/Studio 5000 programming software.

Controller properties -> Date/Time tab : see first picture.

The GSV and SSV instructions to get and set the time (from the Help) suggests you use a DINT[7] array for the values. You can make your life a lot easier if you create a UDT of the "same size and shape" and use the first element as the destination of an GSV, or the source of an SSV : see second picture.

Note that the PLCs WallClock does not do DST adjustment automatically, you have to write code to enable/disable it at the appropriate dates and times if you want DST functionality. If you want help with that I already have it done - just ask.

EDIT : I'm not quick enough ....

2019-09-16_161438.JPG 2019-09-16_162129.JPG

With the recent time change I'm interested in that code to automatically toggle the DST setting in the Time/Date tab. I had to go and manually change it in all the PLCs.

The controller can also be synced to a time master if there is a network connection to a source. Firewall, Server, Workstation even another PLC.

The controller can also be synced to a time master if there is a network connection to a source. Firewall, Server, Workstation even another PLC.

I've never dug into setting up a true master clock control, any advice or gotchas you can share?

Usually I see RSLogix Clock Update tool being used (I don't remember the name off the top of my head) or just letting the PLCs control their own time.