Plc

I understand it ok but I have been doing this foe a long time, during that time I have seen several new people to PLC programming get confused when using a NC contact in a field device but use a xic instruction in the program such as a stop button. Yes it is easy enough to get your head around but when communicating to other people it does save confusion if talking in XIC and XIO terms. but I also agree it can be just as simple to refer to it as high and low or on and off.

I haven't been programming PLCs long - just 25 years or so, but I have never understood why A-B used the word "Examine" in XIC and XIO. It certainly isn't intuitive to me what that word means in the context.

Don't get me wrong, I know how to use XIC and XIO, but I don't like the terms - the only part I like is the IF in the middle - that word is pretty self-explanatory.

I'm one of those who like to use NO and NC because I understand that each element must be considered in relation to the Coil or Input that it is tied to or is acting on it.

Maybe the fact that I have used Relay Logic for 30 years or so makes it easy for me to transition between NO and NC in Relays and NO and NC in PLCs. I understand both very well - or maybe it is because I use ladder logic as well as Boolean logic in my programming.

To me, it is much more important that you understand the concepts than sticking to a particular set of terms, except that it is probably best to use the terms that apply to the particular PLC or Device you are programming.

Active high or active low

To add to the confusion, some PLC's use active high, or active low. Also can be called sourcing or sinking. The Omron PLC's that I worked with could be wired with either common +24 or common 0 VDC. Depending on this wiring, +24 VDC could be logic 1 or logic 0.

Normally Open & Normally Closed

The best way is to look at it like that:

-I I- is Look for a 1 in the memory location, if it is 1 then
logic is true

-I/I- is look for a 0 in the memory location, if it is 0 then
logic is true

Cheers
Hagos