Plc5 cpt

Bering C Sparky

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey guys,
Wondering if any of you could tell me why this is not a valid expression in PLC5/40

((N38:73 / N38:20) * 1440) / 100
Destination is F8:0

I keep getting "Invalid Expression, Two Operands in Sequence"

Can you please point out what is wrong with this?

Also should there be spaces between each figure like I have here or should everything be run together with no spaces or does it not matter either way?

I know I can make this work with individual DIV & MUL but was trying to save the rungs.

Thanks in advance for any input.

BCS

As far as I remember, division is "|", not "/".
edit: "|" is not a capital "i".
"|" is also known as a "vertical bar" or "pipe".

I guess AB has done it like that to avoid getting mixed up with the bit identifier.
edit: And I guess that is where the error message gets confusing, because RSLogix5 interprets the / as part of an operand.

Last edited:
Another tip.
Since the destination is a float, the entire CPT instruction will execute with floating point precision.
Exchange the
((N38:73 | N38:20) * 1440) | 100
for
((N38:73 | N38:20) * 14.4