Plc5 I/o Chassis Switch For Addressing Mode

wilsonzhu

I have 16 slot 1771AD chassis for PLC5/40. My program is set as single slot addressing. How to set the 8 dip switch of 1771AD.Which side take action for dip, up or down? Thanks.

The 1771-AD is an ancient 1771 chassis, from the PLC-2 era. It was followed by the 1771-A4B Series A and 1771-A4B Series B chassis. It only supports 8-point modules and 2-Slot Addressing.

When I do PLC-2 hardware re-use, I rely on an RA Knowledgebase document that discusses the very old 1771 hardware with PLC-5 systems; RA Knowledgebase Article ID # 16474.

The DIP switch settings are on Page 11 of the PLC-5 Installation Instructions, Publication 1785-IN062.

Thank for your information. I brought 1771-AD and plc5/40 from ebay for office testing. Actually my program is supposed to download into field site. I am wondering if my program is single slot addressing and some 16 point modules. Can I just download to accient chassis and plc in office for testing. Will the program run?

I’m not sure if your PLC-5/40 will work OK with the ancient chassis - but IF it will power up and go into the RUN mode, then you probably won’t need any I/O modules to get the program to run ...

specifically, the PLC-5/40 will already have a certain size Input Table - and an identically sized Output Table ... this is true regardless of the size of the chassis - and also regardless of the I/O modules which MAY or may NOT be installed ... note that this is DIFFERENT from the SLC platform ... the SLC is usually pretty “fussy” about having the correct I/O modules installed ... the PLC-5 usually doesn’t care ...

in other words, if you can get the processor to “act right” in that chassis - and work with whatever power supply you have - then you should be able to “force” the I:XXX/XX input bits ON and OFF to simulate the conditions of your input field devices ... your processor should then control the O:XXX/XX output bits - according to your program ... you should then be able to monitor the ON and OFF status of those output bits right on the output table - even though you won’t have any real physical output modules installed in the chassis ...

so now the question is, WILL the PLC-5/40 work in that old chassis? - or NOT? ... sorry - but I don’t know the answer to that one ...

If my memory serves...you won't be able to plug the PLC5 into that chassis because the power supply connector on the chassis motherboard is in the way.
Power connection for the newer chassis is on the end plate.