PLC5 I'm missing something simple wrt program size

Remember that the few bytes that you are using for documentation have NOTHING to do with the downloaded program size. None of your documentation gets downloaded into the PLC, it doesn't care what you call B3:0/0.

So document away, if your program gets bigger than a floppy will hold go buy a memory stick from circuit city. IMO you can not document too much.

I don't quite understand your question about the database files, if you can elaborate I can ramble some more.

Just got in the door. With respect to the database files here are a few questions; now I've just pulled up a program from work and am looking thru it so if someone wants to elaborate further please do.

1) in the address/symbol editor we have the search field with the following parameters: address, symbol, scope, symbol group, description, dev. code, above and below. I know what the obvious ones are for but scope (all of mine are global....when would they be different? how about dev. code, above and below? What up?

2) The program I'm looking up has three MCPs (a legacy from the PLC2 to PLC5 conversion before my time) In the status file under MCP we have A=2, B=9, C=15. How come these Lad files are not listed in the U:3, U:4,.....ect part of the database? Right after the U:#s there is the V:# the MCP lad programs are not listed in there either but each lad program represented by V:(whatever the lad program is) has its return path under the description heading e.g. Return to MCP A file 2.

3)How come the inputs & outputs words in the database address/symbol are labelled I0001:0000 or 00000:0000?

My wife is standing in front of my computer room door waiting for me. We are going for dinner. When I look at my database files in the programs from work I notice that we have 4009 entries in the address/symbol section and 171 entries in the Rung comment/page title section but zero entries in the symbol group section, address/symbol picker as well the instruction comment section. Exactly how would I use these and how could I improve my program by using them? Thanks, the wife is now waiting in the car. Yikes

3) They padded the database with zeros so that when sorting and viewing it in excel, they can be sorted alhpabetically and also come out in numerical order. At least, that has been my experience and my practice as well.

Example:
B3:000/00
B3:000/01
B3:000/02
B3:000/03
~~~~~~
B3:000/10
B3:000/11
B3:000/12
B3:000/13
B3:000/14
B3:000/15

Otherwise you get:
B3:0/0
B3:0/1
B3:0/10
B3:0/11
B3:0/12
B3:0/13
B3:0/14
B3:0/15
B3:0/2
B3:0/3

And so on...

I can't answer question 1 or 2...sorry...

Thanks OkiePC. I truly hope that you are just being overly courteous when you say that you are sorry about not being able to answer my ? because you and everyone else on this forum who take time out of their day to help a guy out has nothing to be sorry about. Thank you very much. With any luck I'll be able to help you out one day. Maybe that's a bit of a stretch. I'll keep trying though.