PLC5 To Controllogix Conversion

For those who don't have RSLogix 5 handy, here are the RIO scanlists for Channels 1B and 2A of his PLC-5/60 controller.

Another concern I would have with this system is that there are 25 BTR and 25 BTW instructions (just a quick count) and that implies at least 25 analog modules.

The ControlLogix has a limitation on how many MSG instructions it can "cache", which how most analog module messaging is done. I have to look up what the limits are now, but I recall 16 on DH+ and 16 on RIO being the limit. It's possible they are combined now.

My rule of thumb is that any PLC-5 system with more than 16 analog modules is a good candidate for the 1756-RIO module because the Block Transfers are handled by the module, not by the ControlLogix itself.

PLC5_Scanlists.PNG

Hi I think its better if i attach my acd file but it is around 4 MB.I tried to delete tags,routine but it is still large.If u provide me mail id i will send u acd file.

You could just post a screenshot of the I/O tree and the General tab of the one 1771-ASB in the I/O tree.

I realize you might not be able to get the DIP switch settings with the plant in operation, but you can still post the Rack/Group/Slot values you are using in RSLogix 5000, and you can post the inventory of modules in the chassis. Even if you don't know the exact part number you should be able to visually say if they are 8, 16 or 32 point modules, and the color of the module sticker (red = AC, orange = relay, green = DC Out, blue = DC In).

Are you doing this conversion in-house or are you an integrator working on it for a client ?

These are 120 VAC adapters.In first chassis I have 16 DI.
I am from an India but for job I came to saudi arab,Riyadh.I am working here as an integrator.I am sole responsible for this project.

Last edited:
I think I know what's going on.

The chassis that you chose to test is Rack 01, which is configured in the PLC-5 as a "Complementary Rack".

This is an uncommon mechanism that dates back to the PLC-2/3/5 controllers in which one physical chassis is addressed as Input data only, and another physical chassis is addressed as Output data only. They "complement" each other.

I think that to get a functioning I/O connection with the 1756-DHRIO, you would have to have both the "Rack 01" and "Rack 01C" chassis connected.

There is a simple way to work around this for testing; disable Complementary addressing in the 1771-ASB.

For a 1771-ASB Series C or Series D module, the difference in the DIP switches between Primary Complementary mode and non-Complementary mode is that S2-3 is OFF when it's in non-Complementary mode.

You have to determine the Series letter (A,B or C, D, E) of the 1771-ASB module and follow the charts in the 1771-UM001 User Manual. Because there are multiple charts that look very similar, highlight or tab the page that holds the configuration you want to use; I guarantee you'll be looking at that page a lot.

I've done PLC3 to CLX upgrades using DHRIO modules and 1771 racks with complementary addressing. The DHRIO module will not allow two racks with the same rack number to be configured on the same module, even if they are on separate channels. You will have to either renumber the racks, or have at least two DHRIO modules and connect the like-numbered racks to separate modules.

Ken - do you know how the 1756-RIO module handles complementary addressing?

Thanks OG. I had forgotten complementary addressing could be done in this manner with the DHRIO. However, it wouldn't work in my case because there were other racks using the 10 higher numbers. There were 58 physical racks in one of the systems we converted.

This method also would not work with the system in question here without renumbering racks (unless two DHRIO modules are used). BUT, you can indeed have complementary addressed racks with the DHRIO if the situation fits.

Last edited:
HI,

It means first i have to disable the complementary mode in PLC5,
but this could be done only in I/o configuration of (online or I have to download)or I have to do it physically on ASB depends on series.

I have attached some images.Is it possible for you to identify series of ASB bcoz while plant in operation I have seen 1771-WB on adapter.
For more detail operation i have shut down the plant.

PART-1

Hi,as per our previous discussion today I took shut to find out details of ASB.

I have 1771-ASB series-D Firmware Revision-H
-----------------------------------------------------------
ASB1 S/W SETTINGS:

S/W1 setting as per below:
1-OFF 2-OFF 3-OFF 4-OFF 5-OFF 6-ON 7-OFF 8-OFF

S/W2 setting as per below:
1-OFF 2-ON 3-OFF 4-ON 5-ON 6-ON

BACK PLANE S/W setting as per below:
1-ON 2-OFF 3-ON 4-ON 5-OFF 6-ON 7-ON 8-OFF
-----------------------------------------------------------
ASB2 S/W SETTINGS:

1-OFF 2-OFF 3-OFF 4-OFF 5-ON 6-ON 7-OFF 8-OFF

1-OFF 2-ON 3-OFF 4-ON 5-ON 6-ON

---------------------------------------------------
ASB3 S/W SETTINGS:

1-OFF 2-OFF 3-ON 4-OFF 5-OFF 6-ON 7-OFF 8-OFF

1-OFF 2-ON 3-ON 4-ON 5-ON 6-ON

--------------------------------------------------------

My New s/m is having,

Rack1: slot0-L62(Ver-16.81),Slot1-EN2T(Ver-2.7 Series-C,CN2(Ver 20.9 series-B),RMA(ver 2.5)

Rack2: slot0-L62(Ver-16.81),Slot1-EN2T(Ver-2.7 Series-C,CN2(Ver 20.9 series-B),RMA(ver 2.5)

Rack3: slot0-CN2(Ver 20.9 series-B),Slot1-DHRIO (Version 7.2,series-E,I have disabled keying because I am using Clx ver 16.81 and DHRIO E series is not available in this version)
----------------------------------------------------------------

While testing I have Disabled Complimentary S/W i.e. 3-ON in S/W1 and S/W2,but i got same problem that ACTIVE LED is OFF on 1771-ASB adapter.

I have attached two attachment separately.
-------------------------------------------------------------
As am getting limited period of shut down (Maximum 2 hrs),it is impossible to play with the S/W settings and again I have to start plant on PLC5.
So please suggest me confirm solution.
pls check PART-2
-----------------------------------------------------

ASB1.jpg ASB2.jpg CONTROLNET.jpg

Last edited:
For those who don't have RSLogix 5 handy, here are the RIO scanlists for Channels 1B and 2A of his PLC-5/60 controller.

Another concern I would have with this system is that there are 25 BTR and 25 BTW instructions (just a quick count) and that implies at least 25 analog modules.

The ControlLogix has a limitation on how many MSG instructions it can "cache", which how most analog module messaging is done. I have to look up what the limits are now, but I recall 16 on DH+ and 16 on RIO being the limit. It's possible they are combined now.

My rule of thumb is that any PLC-5 system with more than 16 analog modules is a good candidate for the 1756-RIO module because the Block Transfers are handled by the module, not by the ControlLogix itself.

Ken

From your post i gather that the 1756-DHRIO modules does not control analog modules via Block transfer but by MSG instructions correct?

Does the 1756-RIO use block transfers for analog or does it use MSG instructions also?

The 1756-RIO does the block transfers for you. All you do is setup the types of analog modules and the RPI. It's works great!

Your most recent posts add another layer of complexity; I did not know that you were using Redundancy and that your 1756-DHRIO modules are in a remote chassis connected over ControlNet.

The ASB1.JPG screenshot shows that the 1771-ASB object is not "scheduled" on ControlNet; this generates the 16#0304 error code.

You must download this RSLogix 5000 program into your ControlLogix and then run the RSNetworx for ControlNet scheduling procedure (Enable Edits, scan the network, then Save).