Plc's and me part ways

Testsubject,

We often call the scope "limits of supply", which basicly outlines what is to be supplied and what is not.
Also, there is often a listing for exclusions.

Example:
Limits of Supply:
3.1, all cables, connections, programming and commissioning for Conveyor CV2
3.2 all cabling, connections, programming and commissioning for pusher V3

Exclusions:
4.1, Supply cable from distribution board to MCC
4.2, All motors
4.3, Disposal of scrap.
4.4, SCADA PC (to be supplied free issue)

For ease of reference, you should number each paragraph and item with a unique number. This allows quick reference when talking over the phone.

elevmike said:
Bob,

It just dawned on me, the Kim-quote is likely in reference to her posing of the imfamous "photo"..A lot of people were offended..Yuck Yuck..

Anyway, the "letter of scope", is the part of the specification that discribes in detail exactly what the machine is and how it's to work.
A properly written specification will include the following sections:

1. Payment terms.
2. Project commencement and compleation dates.
3. Penalties for none compliance by either party.
4. Changes to the project, (change orders)
5. Propriatary information issues..(who owns what rights)
6. Scope of Work... (exactly what is the project, drawings, discription etc..)

The 1st 5 issues are pretty standard in most well written contracts. The last item (6) is for the guy building the machine/house/stadium whatever...

Ok, that is a good starting point. Generally, I let sales deal with payment plans. Item #2 is usually in flux at any given moment. As far as penalties go, those usually are ignored. (sales always let them slide. Customer relations and all.) I do not allow changes to a scope period! I do try to account for unforseen logic issues but that's it. Who owns what is simple. I give them everything. (Code, drawings, screens) At the end of the project I want them to take "ownership" of the equipment. The next time I hear from them it will be for the next project. I do stipulate in our warranty that any changes to any documentation, without my consent, (PLC Code, screens, drawings ect.) voids the warranty.
As far as the scope goes, I detail everything. How the machine will run, where data will be collected, what the screens will look like, how the screens will work. Every detail that I can think of. It may be time consuming to be so thorogh, but in the end it's worth it.

Tim R

hang in their

Learn as much as possible and use them to your advantage.
Go to all the schools they will allow just in case the
worst happens. I am in maintenance and deal with plc`s
it seems the more you do the less you are appreciated.

Tom Jenkins said:
Daddy always tole me "Some days you git th' bear, some days th bear gits you!"

I've always said "Some days you step in it, some days you don't"

But as most have pointed out, on those days you step in it, it is best to clean yourself up and not get it on everything else.