Please Isolate

Doug_Adam

I haven't posted this before since I was waiting for the investigation to be complete.

Last week, one of our operators decided to clean a conveyor tail drum. He was working by himself, and removed the guard and began cleaning. He did not isolate.
His arm was caught in the conveyor when it started automatically, and it was ripped out of the shoulder socket.
Somehow he managed to find help before passing out. The other operators rendered first aid, and were able to keep him alive until the ambulance arrived.
He will survive, but is still in bad condition.
They were not able to re-attach the arm.

If you are going to work on anything, make sure you isolate, especially before un-bolting guards. They are there for a reason.

The other lesson is, don't work alone.

Something to think about.

Doug

Doug_Adam said:
I haven't posted this before since I was waiting for the investigation to be complete.

Last week, one of our operators decided to clean a conveyor tail drum. He was working by himself, and removed the guard and began cleaning. He did not isolate.
His arm was caught in the conveyor when it started automatically, and it was ripped out of the shoulder socket.
Somehow he managed to find help before passing out. The other operators rendered first aid, and were able to keep him alive until the ambulance arrived.
He will survive, but is still in bad condition.
They were not able to re-attach the arm.

If you are going to work on anything, make sure you isolate, especially before un-bolting guards. They are there for a reason.

The other lesson is, don't work alone.

Something to think about.

Doug

;)
I agree with this there a case about working alone, The operator heve a problem of choke in line with the airlock. He manage to clear the choke line, upon clearing it the machine automatically
start. The good thing is another operator see it then he activate the E-Stop, the operator who clearing the line loss his pointer finger.o_O

I am sorry to hear about this incident Doug. I have seen many operators work unsafely over the years and have been absolutely horrified at some of the stupid things I have seen.

Training is very important, including horrible videos of really bad industiral accidents.

Unfortunately a high level of training sometimes has no effect on some people and they still continue to work unsafely.

In the states, this would mandate a visit from OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Administration). OSHA would hold an investigation, checking to ensure that the plant had all the required training and procedures in place, if not a fine would be levied.
Then the incident findings would be published.

This doesn't help the guy that was hurt, but by publishing everyone else is made aware. Hopefully preventing another injury at another plant. Don't know if you guys have the same governmental review or not.

Ken, I would imagine that Workcover here would have carried out an investigation and, if possible, have fined someone, or the company or both, rather heavily.

Perhaps Doug can confirm.

Wow I'm sorry to hear about this... I have seen all too many incidents of unsafe work practices and corresponding injuries. I never, never, but never take any safety issues for granted. No work schedule is worth getting hurt over.

$

BobB said:
Ken, I would imagine that Workcover here would have carried out an investigation and, if possible, have fined someone, or the company or both, rather heavily.

Perhaps Doug can confirm.

This has occurred.
Some change notices have been issued and fixes were completed on the spot. (This was required before we re-started).
Worksafe have not yet completed their investigation, and neither have we.
We have publisised this accident to both our workers and contractors, hopefully people will take more care.
This is the worst accident that has occurred since I started working here.
We have taken great care to regularly train staff on safety, and to strictly enforce safety rules. It has now at the stage where the operators will stop each other from breaching safety. I can only think that if someone else was there with him, that he may have been stopped before he had the accident.

Doug

Safety

Sorry to hear about the accident. They have a tendancy to haunt safety commitee members... Training is so very important.