Potential job

I was not comparing anyone to those who serve I was making an analogy concerning knowledge of a particular action or accomplishment in that the only people who know what was required for success are people who observed the action or a person who sat the same exam every one else is making assumptions about what happened or what was required to succeed

Last edited:
I wasn't going to post anything else as my last post was a little pointed and probably ruffled some feathers. But you guys are right that the degree is a sign of hard work and drive to finish. The problem that I have with it is the Ones who work hard for the degree and then think they have arrived and everyone else works so they don't have to, and then they think that they are paid for what they could do and not what they will do. The degree doesn't make a man into a profound worker with a drive to be the best, because those attributes are there well before college.
Just my 2 cents.
Eli

Last edited:
At the end of the day there are things I can do that an engineer, generally, cannot do and vice versa.

We have to work together - the ones I do not like are the 'know alls that can do know wrong'! Love taking them apart - only ever happens once - they listen and work with me next time.

Had a young **** fresh out of Uni trying to tell me what to do, incorrectly I might add, and I asked him if because he had a degree he knew how to calculate voltage drop? He asked me 'what are your qualifications' - I answered a trade (electrical fitter), lots of experience from the school of hard knocks, and I knew what I was doing. My client stepped in and told the young **** to not be such a smart arse and listen and learn. He has been fine ever since and we have worked together on several jobs now.

I also write specification outlines for several consultants these days as they reckon I know all the tricks. Not worth a cent writing a specification though - they are good at that - or is it good at copying and pasting mostly?

Lets all work together, learn from each other and just get the job done!

To clarify I have not a degree I am an electrician with over 35 years in the trade in both Europe and Canada the point was that in itself having a degree does not mean you are competent in that field sometimes it just means you have a good memory and can write exams but have no practically ability. I have attended courses at colleges both in Europe and Canada and received certificates which are impressive to look at but are as far as I am concerned were in some cases a waste of time, so if I am interviewing someone and they try to impress me with that same college diploma I would not be impressed thence my point of only someone who has been there and done that know just how much it is worth.

Ha ha - I love how the degree discussions digress so quickly :)

OP, I think you should go for it. Tom hit the nail on the head.

Ha ha - I love how the degree discussions digress so quickly :)

OP, I think you should go for it. Tom hit the nail on the head.

yeah talk about my thread getting hijacked. lol. its alright tho.

actually i am going for it. the customer that i currently am doing work for the E/I foreman is going to help me switch to the company doing the programming. so i will switch companies and roles but work for the same oil company in the same place. also the one programmer from there that i have been working with is also going to ref me. i asked him why he thought i would be good at it. he said because you take an interest in it, because i have an attention for details. and because i have a bunch of field experience.

Just have to finish this project im working on first lol

and also i have had 2 people on here tell me that their albertan companies were also hiring haha.

thank you everyone.

Well Update on this Thread. As it turned out, Even though the company i was applying to had lots of work where i was it, the Client we were both currently working for decided they couldnt afford another Automation guy, and operations would have to wait. Thus they were unable to hire me.

But i didnt let that kick me down. I took some private lessons form an automation friend of mine. And i decided to work closer to home now. And wouldnt you know it, my new employer is willing to support me in it if we have the work for it. I have a laptop software cables etc. set up now. And i have a customer willing to use me as well. I have done a couple things for them already. And although they were just simple changes or troubleshooting, none the less it gives me the experience.

I want to thank everyone who has commented on this post, or really everyone in this forum who has posted, i lave learned a great deal from you, please keep up the good work.